Author Topic: PATRICK HORGAN / CATHERINE McDERMOTT  (Read 2832 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: PATRICK HORGAN / CATHERINE McDERMOTT
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 18:57 BST (UK) »
Patrick Horgan, wife Catherine Callahan
Patrick was born c1861, Ireland.  They were married 6 September 1888, Boston

Naturalization record
Patrick J Horgan, 30 Pearl?, Lynn (town), Massachusetts.  Laborer.  Born County Cork, Ireland, c1858.  Arrived in U.S. 7 July 1883.
Record filed in Salem, MA 31 January 1888

Confusing with two Patrick Horgans, born c1859 in County Cork.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline MAMC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

Took a trip to the Births Deaths and Marriages office today.  This is the information on the civil marriage certificate.  Patrick Horgan and Catherine McDermott were married in Cork on 14th June 1879.  Patricks father was named John and his occupation was a labourer.  Catherine's father was also named John (deceased) and his occupation was a sailor.  Patricks occupation was a labourer and there was not any occupation for Catherine.

Would I be right in assuming that the journey to America would have been via ship from Queenstown ( now known as Cobh) to New York or Boston.  Are there any easily accessed ships manifest for that period?

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 19:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you for confirming previous information and for the added material.  :)

All of my ancestors were in Canada prior to your Horgans' sailing date, so I am not too familiar with passages around that time, but I do believe you are correct.

However, not everyone sailed directly to America; some sailed to Canada and then settled in the states (I believe this was more common during earlier years, though).  There is also a slight possibility that they could have left Ireland for work in Scotland and possibly England, so I wouldn't rule out them sailing from a different port.  In addition to New York and Boston, I believe Philadelphia was also a destination.  I'm sure other RootsChatters will have more knowledge than me.   ;)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 19:33 BST (UK) »
PS  I have been looking on a pay site for Patrick and cannot yet confirm his sailing.  I am hoping to find Patrick and Catherine sailing together, but there is always the possibility that he sailed first and then she followed.

I'm still trying to find them in the 1905 New York Census.   ;)  I'm hoping it will provide some leads.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 19:39 BST (UK) »
From a pay site:

1905 Manhattan, New York Census
Patrick J Hargin, age 48, born Ireland, Painter
Catherine, wife, age 44, born U.S., Housework
John, son, age 18, Clerk
James, son, age 16, Cash Boy
Kate, daughter, age 13, at school
Grace, daughter, age 7, at school
All children born in U.S.
1032 Second Avenue

Could Patrick have sailed to America, met Catherine and decided to marry in Ireland?   :-\  Catherine continues to state that she was born in America.  Or, could she have been born in the states and returned to Ireland at an early age (I have seen that before).

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hmmm...

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2WFY-C82

Patrick J Horgan
Born: c1857, Ireland
Died:  22 December 1908, Brooklyn, NY
Painter
Father: John Horgan
Mother:  Mary Ann O'Neill
Calvary Cemetery
  Additional facts on the site mentioned above

Offline MAMC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 21:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Lisa. Patrick and Catherine lived 3 houses from each other.  I very much doubt if they would have had the money to come back to Ireland to marry.  It's my quess they emigrated after the marriage.  Have checked local church records for a Baptism of a baby 1879/ 1880 but found nothing.  My only piece of information is on my Granfathers army records where it says next of kin "Patrick Horgan U S America."

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 01:53 BST (UK) »
Have you found Catherine's birth information - would it show in which month she was born?  The 1900 New York census states Catherine Horgan was born March 1861.

I've not yet found Catherine Horgan's passing in New York.  If found, perhaps it may provide her parents' names?

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 02:05 BST (UK) »
Could this be your Catherine (and the Catherine from the 1900 census)?

Ireland Catholic Parish Register
Catherine McDermott
Baptism:  9 March 1851, Youghal, Cork, Ireland
Parents:  John McDermott and Catherine Murry
Residence place was 66 Regt
Diocese: Cloyne
Sponsors: Patrick Nack? Mary Anne Murry?