Author Topic: PATRICK HORGAN / CATHERINE McDERMOTT  (Read 2824 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: PATRICK HORGAN / CATHERINE McDERMOTT
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 July 17 12:12 BST (UK) »
 U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007 - Edward Francis Horgan (son)
16 May 1988 - July 1919 - Father Edward F Horgan and Mother Mary Oconnor.

FIND A GRAVE

Burial Calverton National Cemetery  Calverton Suffolk County New York.
Plot: 8, 11077

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=4041201&ref=acom

Sandra

Can continue if you think we have the right link ?

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline MAMC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 July 17 23:38 BST (UK) »
Dear Sandra,
Many thanks for the information but I'm not so sure it's the Patrick Horgan that I am looking for.  Patrick and Catherine (to my knowledge) were married here in Cork in June 1879.  In your 1900 Census it says that Patrick emigrated in 1874 so if that is correct he could not have married in Cork in 1879. I will go to town tomorrow and hopefully will get a copy of his civil Marriage which might give us a little more information.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 02:06 BST (UK) »
...he was born in Cork Ireland on 11th June 1859 to John Horgan and Mary Horgan (nee Leahy). He married Catherine McDermott or (McDermoth) in St. Peter & Pauls Church Cork on 14th June 1879...

What I found slightly off was the birth date given for the 1900 census - May 1858.  However, the 1900 couple does have the 1879 marriage date and as it was pointed out earlier, it looks like Catherine's maiden name was McDermot?.

Does this couple follow the Irish naming pattern for your Horgans (with the known children being Edward, John, James, Catherine and Grace Ellen)?

Patrick's occupation in 1900 was shown as Painter.  Of course, he could have taken on any work, but did you have any painters in your family?

PS  If he truly did immigrate in 1874, perhaps the couple went back to Ireland for the marriage and shortly thereafter returned to America?   :-\
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline MAMC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

Patrick's father's name was John and his Mother's name was Mary.  I don't know the names of Catherine's parents.  I think the civil marriage record will give me a little more information, for instance  the fathers names and occupations and also Patricks occupation.  What I do find strange is that there are so few Patrick Horgans and Catherine McDermoths on record in the U.S. 

Many thanks for your help.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 10:59 BST (UK) »
Dear Sandra,
Many thanks for the information but I'm not so sure it's the Patrick Horgan that I am looking for.  Patrick and Catherine (to my knowledge) were married here in Cork in June 1879.  In your 1900 Census it says that Patrick emigrated in 1874 so if that is correct he could not have married in Cork in 1879. I will go to town tomorrow and hopefully will get a copy of his civil Marriage which might give us a little more information.

Immigration and birth dates can very often be varied or fictitious, the information was only as good as the informants knowledge.  Doesn't necessarily mean it was Patrick or Catherine that filled those details in.

There was a death record for a Patrick Horgan born 1857 (slightly out from your chap) in Manhattan - passed away 5 March 1904 - burial 8 March 1904 -  father David  :-\  Occupation "porter"  - Cemetery Calvary.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2WX2-VNL

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 11:03 BST (UK) »
The chap who passed away in 1904 (as listed above) was not your Patrick - FIND A GRAVE

Burial Calvary Cemetery  Woodside Queens County New York.
Plot: S

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=150485491&ref=acom

Sandra

Offline MAMC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,
Many thanks for this,
Hilda....

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 18:46 BST (UK) »
Could this be your Patrick?

Patrick J Horgan, born c1857
Death:  22 December 1908, Kings, New York

Social Security Application and Claims Index
Patrick Horgan
Spouse:  Catherine McDermott
Child: Grace Rita Neyland

After a somewhat quick search, I didn't find the family (with or without Patrick) on the 1905 census.   :-\
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 18:49 BST (UK) »
Note:  There was a Patrick J Horgan who was in Massachusetts with similar details, but if I remember correctly when I was searching yesterday, his wife was not named Catherine.