Author Topic: Frank Yeoman ELLERY NZ Family  (Read 8454 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Frank Yeoman ELLERY NZ Family
« Reply #54 on: Monday 20 November 17 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Robert GRINTER   [named as father on birth registration for William Larkin GRINTER ] :

Robert GRINTER
- ex Dorsetshire, England, arrived as an immigrant to Canterbury per the "William Miles" in August 1860.   He was 19 years of age and described as "schoolmaster".

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DTHQ-YZ7?i=19&cc=1609792

"Schoolmaster" may not have been his regular or former occupation ?  (sometimes such an appointment  was made for the duration of the voyage and came with a smallish payment for services rendered).   
Once in Canterbury, Robert GRINTER leased some land and was in partnership, farming with another young Dorset man, Robert ROWE who'd travelled on the same ship.

Some time after that partnership was dissolved (end of 1864), Robert GRINTER moved to the North Island where he engaged in a number of other activities.

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/LT18641215.2.26.6

~  Lu
                                                                                              continues next > >

Offline bernice52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 01:01 GMT (UK) »
this is fantastic deduction Lu
I had tried maiden name Larkin+(s) but no way  would have even considered this outcome
thank you so very much for all the time
cheers Bernice

Offline bernice52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 01:15 GMT (UK) »
I have just ordered William Larkin GRINTERS birth so will post details here in abt a weeks time

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 01:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bernice

Have still got a lot more to post.   ;D

Good idea ordering the birth printout and I look forward to learning of its contents.  ;)

We really need to sort out this Jane BAKER or Jenny, or whatever her name was.   It bugs me that I can't find a jolly thing for her.    I'm always a tad skeptical about info published in obituaries too - sometimes it can be "way off the mark" factually.

~  Lu

PS:  Have a possible explanation for the LARKIN name also - will add this soon.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 02:06 GMT (UK) »
Although this is out of sequence with events, just adding now the Probate file (1935) for Jane RAMSAY (formerly ELLERY) which I will refer to later.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G9HF-G994?i=269&cc=1865481

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 03:42 GMT (UK) »
Robert GRINTER :

Timeline

- August - arrives at Lyttleton per "William Miles" (see earlier link given).

- Claim to have name on Electoral roll for County of Cheviot (Canterbury).  Has leasehold land in the Township of Ashley - Section 3164.
Nov. 1864 - Notice of Dissolution of farming partnership with Robert ROWE.

1867 - appears at local Court and is fined 8s for driving 8 head of cattle through the city during prohibited hours.   "Press" (Christchurch) 26 July 1867

1868 - Places advertisement offering reward, for lost Silver Lever Hunting watch in Lyttelton Times - 3 April 1868.
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/LT18680403.2.2.7

Later in 1868 he can be found on the Mining Database apply for a Miner's Right at Karaka, Thames District.

http://www.kaelewis.com/

Will just point out also, that there are a wealth of records for GRINTER and ELLERY, at The Treasury website, Thames.
http://www.thetreasury.org.nz/research.htm

>  scroll down this page to the The Treasury Index and type in surname you wish to research.

Having said that though, there is a charge for obtaining info from the site ... and quite a lot of it I'd already found via PapersPast.  [Same with School records - I don't have immediate access to these but can get them if you wish. ]

~  Lu                                                                            continues next  > >

Offline bernice52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 04:16 GMT (UK) »
will look forward to the Larkin connection possibility too
Many thank for all you are doing

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 04:30 GMT (UK) »
Robert GRINTER :

Timeline
-- continued

If he's away "mining" then he may have "been off the radar" for a while ?

However in June 1875 a newspaper notice appears re: Applications for gold mining rights.
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/THA18750618.2.11.3

Under "Schedule # 60, are the following names >
Robert GRINTERWilliam LARKINS* / William JENNINGS .... and several others.

In another advertisement > 1875 I think >  (and I've misplaced the link to it - will find later) - under the heading of "El Dorado Mining Co." the following shareholders and their places of abode etc., are listed >

William LARKIN* - Shortland - miner - 1000 shares

Robert GRINTER - Shortland - miner - 1000 shares

*  It seems that Robert GRINTER was well acquainted with a man named William LARKIN (or LARKINS) and this is possibly where the name of his son came from ?

Try as I might, haven't been able to nail down this particular William LARKIN.    He may be the chap who went on to become a contractor ... or may have gone to Australia ??
There are lots of LARKIN / LARKINS at the Treasury website and also at that Gold mining database (Kae Lewis) link I gave earlier.  Maybe someone can sort them out.  ;D

~  Lu                                                                                      continues next > >

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 04:47 GMT (UK) »
Robert GRINTER :    Continued >

Robert GRINTER[/b] remained in Thames for some years and became a publican.  He had the "Bayview" (Bay View) hotel around 1878 and a little later, the "Nil Desperadum" hotel for which a licence was eventually refused in mid 1880 (because the Hotel was "not needed".) 

From there he seems to have gone to Waihi and operated as a storekeeper (and in cahoots with a George CLOTWORTHY was up on a charge of sly-grogging in May 1881. )

The references to Robert GRINTER are easily found at PapersPast ... so I'll let you find them.
[And it had to happen with a surname like that ... found him listed as Robert GRUNTER  !!     ;D]
The Treasury, Thames website also has a couple of references to Robert GRINTER, Hotel Keeper.

~  Lu                                                                                continues next  > >