Author Topic: George and Sarah Cracknell...siblings from Halstead area, different mothers?  (Read 1452 times)

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi Rootschatters,

I normally research Scotland records so having some difficulty with English researcj and hoping someone can help.  Sarah Cracknell was born in Romford in 1843 to John Cracknell and Sarah Hasler.  John and Sarah had married in the district of Halstead in 1840 and it was at least a second marriage for John because on the 1841 census there is an 8 year old Caroline Cracknell. 
Fast forward to 1884 Sarah Cracknell (now Auger) took her family to Australia and she is said to have been sponsored by a brother from Rushworth, Victoria.  I believe I have pinpointed said bros as George Cracknell who had arrived in Australia in 1854 and established himself in Rushworth.  When he died in 1902 the records show his father was John and his mother Eliza Hawkin/s and that he was born in Hornden, Essex in 1835.  I wondered if anyone can locate or knows of a marriage between this couple and can establish that they had a son George. 

Sarah also had a bros James born in 1840 to John Cracknell and Sarah Hasler but he became a teacher and remained in England so I have been able to eliminate him as the bros who came to Australia.  I suspect that George aged 5 is at the Vicarage House, Gt Maplestead with Isaac and Sarah Harrington in 1841 and that Sarah was possibly a Cracknell and related to John.

I seem to have a lot of circumstantial evidence and I think I'm on the right track, I just can't get the evidence to prove my theory.

Cheers, Sage.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George and Sarah Cracknell...siblings from Halstead area, different mothers?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 July 17 08:27 BST (UK) »
The 1841 census doesn't show relationships to the Head of the House.

Caroline Cracknell may be a servant, a cousin, a niece - or just a visitor? :-\
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline essexpoet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: George and Sarah Cracknell...siblings from Halstead area, different mothers?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 July 17 08:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,

FreeReg gives you some of the answers -

John Cracknall baptised 26.4.1807 Great Maplestead - parents Joseph and Sarah

Caroline Cracknell baptised 28.12.1832 Great Maplestead - parents John (shoemaker) and Eliza

John Cracknall married Eliza Hawkins 6.8.1832 Great Maplestead

John Cracknell age 33 widower, shoemaker married Sarah Hasler age 36 19.4.1840 at St Andrew Halstead. John's father Joseph, Sarah's father Thomas

Mike

Halstead ,The Hedinghams,The Maplesteads,The Belchamps,Gosfield,Gestingthorpe,Stisted,Toppesfield

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 July 17 08:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you KGarrad...thankfully our fellow rootschatter, Mike knows where to look and isn't that just what I'd dreamed of!   ;D  Thanks Mike, that was a brick wall I couldn't get over.

Also, can someone shed some light on what happened to John Cracknell and Sarah Hasler...they don't seem to be around after the 1851 census?

Offline essexpoet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 July 17 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hi again Sage,

John and Sarah are living in Chelmsford on the 1871 census.

Sarah appears to have died in 1871 Chelmsford

John remarries again in 1872 to Jane Basham

John and Jane are living in Van Diemans Land Chelmsford in 1881 census.

Finally John dies in Chelmsford in 1888

Have not been able to find them in 1861

Mike
Halstead ,The Hedinghams,The Maplesteads,The Belchamps,Gosfield,Gestingthorpe,Stisted,Toppesfield

Offline essexpoet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 July 17 10:54 BST (UK) »
Final piece of the jigsaw-

You mention Isaac and Sarah Harrington on the 1841 census - Sarah was indeed a Cracknall they married 23.2.1813.

Eliza Cracknall was buried 26.1.1839 at Great Maplestead age 29

George Cracknall baptised at Great Maplestead 08.3.1839 (age 3) -parents John and Eliza

Mike

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 July 17 11:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for steering me in the right direction, Mike.  I couldn't find John and Sarah in 1861 either and thought it possible they'd died.  I'm really impressed with 'freereg'...what a great website. I'm stoked that my little mystery is now resolved and appreciate all your help  :)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 15:12 BST (UK) »
Did you notice next door to the Harringtons in 1841 is;
Joseph Cracknell, 75
Sarah Cracknell, 75

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 15:39 BST (UK) »
Have been unable to find a Marriage for Joseph/Sarah in Essex.

FreeREG has these Children Bapt Great Maplestead to them;
RICH. Cracknall 29 June 1800
MARY Cracknel 2 May 1802
JOHN Cracknall 26 April 1807 as posted by Mike

Ok, 1851 Census Sarah Harrington is born c 1801 Stambourne, 1861 c 1793 Grt Maplestead, 1871 c 1793 Stambourne.

Baptism, Stambourne too JOSEPH/SARAH;
Familysearch.Org
JOSEPH Cracknell 16 March 1788
JOHN Cracknell 1 Aug 1790, may have died as named another Son John.
ELIZABETH Cracknell 1 Aug 1790
SARAH Cracknell 4 Nov 1792***

Aaah looks good Burial on FreeREG Burial JOHN Cracknall 15 May 1800 Great Maplestead, Son of Joseph/Sarah.

Also GR on FreeREG, Burial of JOSEPH 5 July 1844 age 78.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)