Author Topic: Missing from the Workington 1841 Census?  (Read 566 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • MEM 1878 - 1949
    • View Profile
Re: Missing from the Workington 1841 Census?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 17 July 17 11:45 BST (UK) »
Ref that I have is HO107/159/9b/45/17

Think I must have misread the 9b for a 5b
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • MEM 1878 - 1949
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 17 July 17 12:17 BST (UK) »
Just had a thought that, apart from Isaiah being very badly indexed, missing from the census, at sea, etc.,  he might have been working on the night shift in the coal mine.  I recall that I couldn't find a coal mining ancestor on one of the early censuses and was told that the mine foreman was instructed to list all miners working in the colliery at midnight on census day/night and enter them. Not sure how many conformed to this or how true it was but this could explain the absence.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 17 July 17 17:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your time, help and info with this!  Gadget ... that's a thought - he may well have been down a mine at the time!  Nina