Author Topic: Darwin Australia birth  (Read 2618 times)

Offline today1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Darwin Australia birth
« on: Monday 17 July 17 20:56 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have access to cds to look up Darwin Births.   I am having some difficulty communicating with the Northern Territory BDM.  There are no online records at all it seems and I am told not likely to ever be as received in an email from them.  I have been quoted $44.00 for cert and $16.10 for postage.  I am still attempting to find out what will happen if i pay and they cannot locate the birth.  Having difficulty with their email system which intermittently fires back emails as undeliverable.   I have a date that this grandfather put on his army record, however it is different to what he always told the family and we also had a rumour about him changing his name.

The information he has given on his nz army record is:

Name:   John HARDY
Born      10th Oct 1892
             Darwin Australia.    Parents William HARDY and Alice HARDY  maiden name HOWARD

The year of birth he told family was 1888 and the rumour was that he changed his last name
from West  (may or may not be true)

Would like to confirm that the record exists before ordering and paying.  Thanks

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Darwin Australia birth
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 July 17 21:34 BST (UK) »
I don't know how the system of BMD's worked in NT. Did the records go to a central agency? If so the NT was a part of SA in the time period for your man.
"The Northern Territory was part of colonial New South Wales from 1825 to 1863, except for a brief time from February to December 1846, when it was part of the short-lived colony of North Australia. It was part of South Australia from 1863 to 1911." (Wikipedia)
Could be worth an email to SA to establish whether they know anymore about these records?

No, The National Library of Australia says "Births, deaths and marriages occurring in the area of the Northern Territory from 1856-1863 were registered in New South Wales and in South Australia from 1863-1870."
https://www.nla.gov.au/sites/default/files/family-history-sources.pdf

Evidently they have microfiche indexes of the record you are wanting.

Offline today1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 July 17 21:43 BST (UK) »
Yes I had checked both nsw and south australias online records just in case.  I am in nz and it seems strange to me that they are not going to put their records online, she said they are a closed registry.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 July 17 22:03 BST (UK) »
I am in NZ now also and although I lived in OZ for over 50 years my research is in the UK so not familiar with how things work in OZ.
I wonder if The National Library can do a search of their indexes for you?

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 July 17 23:09 BST (UK) »
The indexes are available on the subscription websites but I am not seeing any entries of interest under the three surnames mentioned.

Debra  :)

Offline today1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 July 17 23:41 BST (UK) »
Ok thanks Crisane and Debra,

So i guess those indexes are complete and means there is no birth record at darwin bdm?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 01:24 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

May I ask you to recheck your chap’s NZEF service file.  You see, I may have mis-understood, but I have understood that the WWI NZEF service files are all digitised and freely available online via Archway NZ.    If so, then there’s only two chaps named John HARDY who served in WWI and both seem to have been born in New Zealand.   There are others with middle names, but only two as John HARDY.   

https://archway.archives.govt.nz/Home.do

Pte John HARDY, WWI 24102  (likely birth indexed NZBDM 1889/5322 ) 
and
John HARDY, WWI 46713. (likely birth indexed NZBDM 1884/3510)

I also checked for John HARDY here: 
 http://www.aucklandmuseum.com/war-memorial/online-cenotaph/search

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 01:27 BST (UK) »
https://nt.gov.au/law/bdm/births-deaths-and-marriages-office-fees

So that's $44 for the certificate and $16.10 for International Registered Post. 

Alternative:
Search of a register (no certificate issued)  $39 

ADD
https://nt.gov.au/contacts/feedback

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 01:38 BST (UK) »
I believe he served in WW2, probably home service because of his age.  If you have his service record is there any mention of previous military service?

Is it correct that he and his wife did not marry?  Probably one of the most common reasons for not marrying and/or a name change is that they were already married to someone else.

Do you have a copy of his death certificate?  If the informant was a family member then perhaps by then they knew more about him and it would be interesting to see what they gave as a place of birth and parents' names.

These questions are answered on the other thread.

Debra  :)