Author Topic: help with Canada Passenger Lists, 1881-1922  (Read 2453 times)

Offline skirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
help with Canada Passenger Lists, 1881-1922
« on: Tuesday 18 July 17 16:31 BST (UK) »
According to the 1911 & 1921 censuses Andrew Robinson arrived in Canada in 1887 but I cannot find his arrival on the Canada Passenger Lists, 1881-1922 at familysearch. He was born in 1864 in Donegal, Ireland. He probably sailed from Londonderry with his wife Margaret and other family members. Any ideas on how to find him on a passenger list? Thanks.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: help with Canada Passenger Lists, 1881-1922
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 00:20 BST (UK) »
Hi there....

Unfortunately, there is always the posibility that the particular record didn't survive. Also, they may have entered at a port that is not included in the online records. They may also have landed at New York or Boston, etc. and come up from there by train.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline skirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 July 17 12:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks PB. I'll look at the NY records.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 July 17 14:47 BST (UK) »
Here is another website for you to try....it is free to use. It refers to American ancestors but Canada bound folks should also be included.

http://castlegarden.org

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile

Offline skirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 July 17 18:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Malky & PB. I'll see what I can find.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 July 17 19:24 BST (UK) »
...He probably sailed from Londonderry with his wife Margaret and other family members...

I've not yet found the couple sailing together.  Would you know the names and ages of the other family members, please?  Perhaps they can be found?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline skirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 July 17 22:37 BST (UK) »
Don't know if they travelled with relatives, just an assumption. Andrew's unmarried sister Mary Robinson [born ca. 1861] is a possibility. Margaret's maiden name was McElhinney. Andrew & Margaret were married in Ireland in April 1887 & arrived in Ontario at some point later on in 1887. Thanks.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 July 17 22:44 BST (UK) »
Did Mary Robinson leave Ireland  :-\

Death certificate for Margaret Robinson, widow of fisherman, registered by daughter Mary-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1893/06011/4710677.pdf

Could this be the daughter Mary Robinson?
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Donegal/Dunfanaghy/Dunfanaghy_Town__Main_St_/1173351

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=775211
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!