Author Topic: 1860s city-dwellers: did your ancestors move around as much as 'my lot'?  (Read 2045 times)

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Now that I have started actually to write my family history (hurrah!) I am noticing many anomalies and quirks I never picked up on before.  One is that my 1860s Edinburgh-living ancestors seem to have moved around a great deal -- whilst still remaining firmly in the City, and living in properties that look to have been in comfortable walking distance one from another.  It seems doubtful, therefore, that these moves were work-related.  These folk were (I think, lower) middle class: father was a teacher; sons, as they grew up during this period, worked as 'mercantile clerk', 'druggist', 'clerk, newspaper office', 'ordinance service office clerk'. 

I imagine that moving from one rented property to another was a lot easier then than it is nowadays: not so much paperwork and red-tape, and fewer personal possessions to move.  But do other people see this phenomenon with their city-dwelling ancestors at this period?  Or is this just my lot?  Can anyone suggest why these folk might have been moving around so much?  I'd like to think it wasn't because they were always trying to stay one step ahead of the rent man and skip out on paying the rent now and then; but who knows?!

Many thanks.

CELTICANNIE
PEPLOE/PEPLOW: Shropshire, Inverness
DAVIES: Inverness, Montgomeryshire, Ruabon
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire
TROLLOPE: Warwickshire, Middlesex
TAYLOR & McKAY: Montreal, Canada

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
Re: 1860s city-dwellers: did your ancestors move around as much as 'my lot'?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 03:02 BST (UK) »
Yes, and not just back then either.

While my direct paternal great grandfather lived in the same house for almost fifty years from about 1900 to 1948, my grandfather moved the family around Islington every few years.  My father wrote about several moves where they moved their possessions by using several handcarts.
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 04:14 BST (UK) »
Do you know the reason(s) why they moved so often, Mirl?
PEPLOE/PEPLOW: Shropshire, Inverness
DAVIES: Inverness, Montgomeryshire, Ruabon
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire
TROLLOPE: Warwickshire, Middlesex
TAYLOR & McKAY: Montreal, Canada

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 04:29 BST (UK) »
Initially it was increase in the number of children, but after my grandfather died it was affordability for a widow with four children.
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 06:12 BST (UK) »
My wifes grandfather moved 12 times between 1870's and 1950's. My wife remembers it  as a case of wanderlust, not being able to remain in one house for too long at a time.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 07:08 BST (UK) »
Many of my London-based families moved several times; one line crossing over the Thames a few times.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 07:14 BST (UK) »
My father recalled moving between Birkenhead and Wallasey (close to each other) four times in the 1920s when he was a boy, and I know that later on in Colwyn Bay they moved a number of times. The family was quite small for the times - just 2 children. I do know that the last move was his widowed mother renting a bigger house so she could make a living letting rooms to boarders - many from the Ministry of Food which had been evacuated to the town during WW2. Perhaps for this reason my parents moved just once during their married life!

I too have relatives moving within a city between censuses but you can't tell whether that means just one move or many - and birth places of children don't help as they are all "Birmingham" or whatever. I do have families in more rural areas where it's clear from child birth places that they moved around a lot - probably due to work, though. 
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 09:59 BST (UK) »
Landlords increasing the rent was another reason to keep moving, often leading to a family living at various numbers in the same street. If the house two doors down was cheaper they moved.

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 11:34 BST (UK) »
My grandfather told me his family moved regularly in the 1890s/1900s mostly because of rent - they once moved next door because the rent was 1d cheaper per week. When they occupied a larger house there were always lodgers,

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire