Author Topic: The Michael family in Talgarth  (Read 1401 times)

Offline sue 123

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Michael family in Talgarth
« on: Wednesday 19 July 17 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have a Margaret Michael born 1802 to James Michael. She is my 3rd great grandmother.

She must have moved to L'pool, with or without her family, as she married there in 1818.

Can anybody find anymore details as to the name of her mother, parents marriage dates, siblings & ancestors in the Talgarth area please.

Thanks in advance.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Michael family in Talgarth
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 09:32 BST (UK) »
Breconshire Baptisms

Ann, born 23 May 1797, bap May 29th 1797, place Llangors, parents James and Mary Michael*
Mary, born April 8 1799, bap May 18th 1799, place Llangors, parents James and Mary Michael*

* transcribed as Michel but image = Michael

(Llangors just south of Talgarth)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 10:31 BST (UK) »
Or this one from Freereg?

https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5817b9c8e93790ec8b0702e3?search_id=596f265c33045bd7a1563f65&ucf=false

Talgarth 
Church name   Tredwstan
Baptism date   4 Jul 1802
Person forename   Margaret
Person abode   Gwain Brechfa
Father forename   James
Father surname   MICHAEL
Register note   Born About 2 Months Before Or Thereabouts
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sue 123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 12:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your info.

I suspect the name variants of Michael/ Michel is par for the course in looking for ancestors? Is this an unusual surname in Wales if so I may be able to dig out more info a bit easier?

I am always curious about why families based in Wales moved to Liverpool, where Margaret got married, I guess it was for work ? What type of work was carried out in Talgarth ? agricultural perhaps ? I assume that travellers passing through the rural areas give information about work to people they meet. All very interesting.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 19:17 BST (UK) »
I didn't post details of the 1802 baptism since I assumed you had those already. It was unusual for a nonconformist record in that it didn't include the mother's details.

Offline sue 123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 20:19 BST (UK) »
I didn't post details of the 1802 baptism since I assumed you had those already. It was unusual for a nonconformist record in that it didn't include the mother's details.

I didnt realise that. Is it possible that her mother died in child birth & that maybe why she was not named on the baptism record?

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 21:26 BST (UK) »

I didnt realise that. Is it possible that her mother died in child birth & that maybe why she was not named on the baptism record?

I don't think so as Ancestry has the actual image and none of the mothers are mentioned on the page, it just says son or daughter of and then gives the father's name. Unfortunately they seem to have changed and on the next page by September the mothers were mentioned In some cases it mentions the father's occupation.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 July 17 09:48 BST (UK) »
Not recording the mother's name was the norm in many parish churches before the introduction of the 1812 register - which asked specifically "Parents' Name".

Nonconformist registers, however, tended to include mother's name - hence my finding it unusual that it didn't appear for Margaret's 1802 birth. As Groom points out, it begins to appear on the next page of that register!

In the period 1780-1820 there were 29 Michael/Michel baptisms in Breconshire (FindMyPast) - 3 of which were Ann, Mary and Margaret, father James.

I can only spot 1 Breconshire marriage (FindMyPast transcription only and Freereg) for a James Michael - bride Susan Powell, date 24 Nov 1792, place Llandefalle. The Freereg record identifies the church as St Matthew.