Author Topic: which school would my grandmother have attended  (Read 1177 times)

Offline jackstaff

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
which school would my grandmother have attended
« on: Wednesday 19 July 17 15:46 BST (UK) »
My grandmother was born and lived in Emborough at the time that she would be attending school at any age. Ancestry now have the school books for Somerset but I cannot find which school she would have gone to at any age. Or indeed if it were a small rural school would it have catered for all ages until leaving probably around 14 years old. I do know that it is in the Binegar and Emborough electoral area but cannot work out where the school would have been as Emborough is not included. I understand that ALL Somerset schools have been digitised. She would have attended from about 1901 to 1911.  The 1911 census does not state she is at school but also not that she is working. She was born in 1896

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: which school would my grandmother have attended
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 16:02 BST (UK) »
I would guess she either attended Chilcompton school or Chewton Mendip?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 July 17 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hi There

I don't know if this will help but here are the contiguous(adjoining)parishes to Elmborough - Chewton Mendip, Stone Easton, Binegar, Wells.
I wonder if its worth concentrating the search on Wells

All the very best

Phil
Weston-super-Mare
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 July 17 12:31 BST (UK) »
Have you checked if all the Somerset books are available online?  Or all years available?
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 July 17 14:51 BST (UK) »
The Ancestry collection certainly does not cover all Somerset schools. Nothing from Bath for instance, that's about 10% of the population. I can't see any from Taunton. One from the Wells Out-parish, none from the City. Several village schools which I know started before 1900 aren't shown.

David

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline jackstaff

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 July 17 13:25 BST (UK) »
I must thank everyone who has replied to my query. I have now concluded that not ALL the Somerset schools are included after all.
Just trying to see which school she may have attended is a problem. When the school holidays are over I will contact all the schools suggested to me and ask if they are aware of any historical information and where it might be kept. I loved the school photo that seemed to show only boys.
I am always on a mission to find photos of my ancestors especially as most schools did take a yearly class photo and most families never owned a camera or could afford to go to a photographic studio.

Thanks again everyone.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 July 17 15:18 BST (UK) »
There's a website that gives twenty nearest schools to Emborough. It lists the names of the schools (e.g. Blue School) and which village/town it's situation in (e.g. Wells, Radstock, etc).

https://www.schoolguide.co.uk/secondary-schools/Emborough

I believe that village is in the north of the county and I see from the Bath/Somerset website that they have passed many of their archived records to the Somerset South West Heritage Trust.

There are many pages of results when I searched their Catalogue using the phrase "school records"

http://somerset-cat.swheritage.org.uk/search/phrase:records/0_50/all/score_desc/school%20records

Hopefully you can find something useful to you.

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke