Author Topic: Stormon/Powers in Nodstown/Thurles  (Read 1681 times)

Offline ww1614

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stormon/Powers in Nodstown/Thurles
« on: Wednesday 19 July 17 17:57 BST (UK) »
Hello! I am trying to find the parents of Thomas Kelly b. c1813 and Margaret Stokes b. c1820.

My latest slight breakthrough is a DNA connection (that includes me and other known descendants of Thomas and Margaret) to 2 people who are 3rd cousins. Their common ancestors are Michael Stormon b. c1800 in Nodstown, Tipperary and Margaret Powers b. c1809 in Thurles, Tipperary. It would be a breakthrough to find that either Thomas Kelly's or Margaret Stokes' mother was a Stormon or Powers.

(FYI, Thomas and Margaret (Stokes) Kelly had emigrated to Boston, MA by 1838 when their oldest daughter was born. Also, their surviving children were named, in order, Mary, John Joseph, Johanna, Ellen, and Thomas. I have been speculating that Margaret's mother was named Mary and that Thomas' father was named John.)

I'm hoping someone has access to better information than I can find online. Thank you!

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Stormon/Powers in Nodstown/Thurles
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 19:50 BST (UK) »
The only occurrence of the Storman name I can see is Griffiths Valuation in 1850 www.nationalarchives.ie for a Honoria Storman Parish of Ardmayle, Place name & Townland Nodstown-recorded as having 85 acres land Landlord James Graham.

The Roman Catholic church records are online Baptisms/Marriages (years vary in different parishes) www.registers.nli.ie

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 19:55 BST (UK) »
http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0280

Link for Thurles RC parish registers which commence 1795

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 July 17 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,
In 1827 an Edmd (Edmund) Stokes lived in Nodstown, Parish of Ardmayle.
Also
STORMOND is listed there is a Edmond and a John.
this info is in the Tithe records.
If Michael Stormon went to Australia then he paid for his 2 sisters, Mary and Judy to go in 1853.
The father was Edmund (dec) and the Mother was Mary and still living at that time.
Just checked a few trees out this is all correct.
The Kelly and Stokes is harder to find but I will keep searching.
Magggsie

Offline ww1614

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 July 17 16:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you!

Offline tomodriscoll

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am a descendant of Michael Stormon(1809-1884) (the name was changed from Storman to Stormon when they migrated to Australia in the 1840's) and Margaret Power(1809 Moycarkey-1870 NSW). The family sailed to Australia on the "Forth" arriving in the Colony of New South Wales (Sydney) on 28 Aug 1841.They married in a small parish in the Thurles district called Moycarkey in County Tipperary (married 21 Feb 1841). The Power's were from Moycarkey and the Storman's are from Nodstown (townland), with the parish being Boherlahan (about 10 Km from Cashel in County Tipperary. Moycarkey and Nodstown are about 20 km apart. Michael Storman's father was Edmund Storman (1769-1837 buried in the Ardmayle Cemetery adjacent Nodstown) and his mother was Hanoria Stakelum. Storman and Stakelum are old Viking names, that settled in this rich farming district.
Margaret Power's parents were Michael Power (1786-) and Mary Duggan (1790-1874 said to be buried in Parsontown- but that is unconfirmed.
There are still remnants of the Storman family in Tipperary and in England, but the farming operations run by the family in Nodstown have finished.
There are numerous members or the Stormon family in Australia, mainly on the East Coast (Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland). I am from Western Australia. My mother was a Stormon. However the Stormon name in Western Australia has completely died out. However the name thrives in the Eastern States.
Michael Stormon(1809-1884 NSW 1841) and Margaret Power had 3 children. Michael (21 Feb 1841 Nodstown- 1884 NSW), John (1847 NSW -1909WA) and Edward (1842 NSW-1877NSW ). Edward died as a bachelor in a horse accident. Michael (1809-1884) descendants are the ones that are plentiful. Unfortunately I am descended from John's line and that is the one that has died out.
I hope this information helps,
Regards
Tom O'Driscoll

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 16:49 GMT (UK) »

All Civil Reg Birth, Marriage and Death results for storm*

LINK   http://www.rootschat.com/links/01oyp/

Irish Govt BDM Website, complete security Captcha and use initials to sign in, safe site to use and Certs are Free.

Some with  Returns Page No     do not have Images of Certs but check Link every few months for any updated ones!

e.g.

Death of MARY STORMAN in 1864
Group Registration ID   N/R
SR District/Reg Area   Cashel
Deceased Age at Death   70
Returns Year   1864
Returns Quarter   2
Returns Volume No   8
Returns Page No   342

changes search terms to surname Stakel* if one wants, leaving everything else Blank on
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/civil-records/help/what-civil-records-are-on-line  explains years etc

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.