Author Topic: Riley's of Wigan Burnley area  (Read 1153 times)

Offline JohnJr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Riley's of Wigan Burnley area
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 22:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you all for your quick responses.  I'll try to answer with what I know (or think I know).  I saw the entries in the census for the Riley's in Bury.  I'm not sure if they are the right ones.  Rooting out the answers is more difficult from Pennsylvania when one only has the computer.  Agnes did marry John Houghton, I believe in 1892.  Edward has been difficult to track through the years.  I found Agnes and my Grandfather Edward as a baby listed as visitors at the home of William and Annie Calland in Wigan.  No sign of Edward. In fact I've never found Edward Snr in any census. 
Annorah was the last child I found.  She married, lost her husband in WW I, moved to Pennsylvanian and remarried.  Edward and Thomas also immigrated to America.  I lost track of Patrick though he may have married an Elizabeth Cooney.  The family was in Burnley after Edwards death and Agnes' marriage to Houghton.  My grandmother was born there (Ellen Jarvis). She and my G-father were married there and and left from there for America.  I'm short on information because the family never spoke of the "Old Country" or the family left behind.  Didn't know that Annorah lived about 60 miles from us when I was growing up until I found her records earlier this year.
Riley, Jarvis, Martin

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

Edward is difficult to find! I don't think he is the Bury one as Edward and wife Elizabeth Nuttall are in later censuses.
I just saw that Agnes was a witness to the Calland marriage which may account for her visiting them but Edward must have been around for another few years.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JohnJr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 22:57 BST (UK) »
In checking my tree I show that in the 1911 census, Agnes is listed as being married to John for 18 years putting their marriage about 1893.  Her daughter, this time called Ausra though I'm sure it's actually Annorah, listed as 2 years old.  I also got a birth date for her of 19 Oct 1890 from her Social Security application.
Riley, Jarvis, Martin