Author Topic: Desperate for help/advice - Burma family connection  (Read 1459 times)

Offline andygibb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Desperate for help/advice - Burma family connection
« on: Wednesday 19 July 17 21:52 BST (UK) »
My Great Grandfather - James Gibb married Jane Waddell in Rangoon on 11th October 1880. He had 4 daughters with Jane some of whom were also born in Burma. After their fourth daughter was born James and Jane separated.
After this James then had a relationship with Jane Carter Younger and they had a son, James Rosenfeld Gibb born in Burma on 27th September 1901 - this is my grandfather, my fathers father. At some point the three of them returned to Scotland but later James Snr returned to Burma, and died there in Rangoon on 8th June 1912.
We never knew that James Snr had been married to Jane Waddell and had four daughters until I started researching my family tree years ago, and discovered a number of statements in the Edinburgh Gazette and the London Gazette (which I can have attached here) dated after his death, where people he owed money to named all the family (including my very young grandfather) as they were looking to recover some debts due from my late great grandfather. We had always assumed he was married to Jane Carter Younger but he had not!

The point of my thread is that I can not find any confirmed details of the family line prior to James snr. We do not know how we can find if James Snrs grave still exists in Burma, and can not find any records of his movements back and forward from the UK and Burma.
I have been in touch with descendants of his four daughters and they too have hit a dead end prior to James Snr on their family tree research. 

Could anyone point me in the right direction here as this story has begun to obsessionally interest me! I am actually thinking about writing the story as the information I have found about his decedents is very interesting but it is him and his ancestors I need help with

Any help or advice would be greatly received.

Best wishes

Andy Gibb

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Desperate for help/advice - Burma family connection
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 July 17 08:44 BST (UK) »
What interests me is that you have an exact date of marriage.  Where did you get it from?

Have you considered joining the Anglo-Burmese library?  It costs £30 to join.

http://www.angloburmeselibrary.com/

If you are a member you can gain access to quite a bit of information which includes BMDs.

Do I take it that you don't know when and where James was born? 
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Online jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 July 17 09:07 BST (UK) »
There are some Burmese records included in the British India records that are now on Find My Past.

Someone I know who has a similar background got some information from there but he did travel to Burma and India to get more information.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 July 17 09:29 BST (UK) »
For reference, marriage in 1880 lists groom as James Hardy Gibb (age 32, father William) in this extract-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGNY-YXY

Lots more details here-
http://www.forum.familyhistory.uk.com/archive/index.php/t-23353.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline andygibb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 July 17 10:22 BST (UK) »
For reference, marriage in 1880 lists groom as James Hardy Gibb (age 32, father William) in this extract-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGNY-YXY

Lots more details here-
http://www.forum.familyhistory.uk.com/archive/index.php/t-23353.html

Yes this was my request for help in 2013 but I am no further forward and posted a new request in the hope someone else could help.

Best wishes

Andy

Offline andygibb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 July 17 10:23 BST (UK) »
What interests me is that you have an exact date of marriage.  Where did you get it from?

Have you considered joining the Anglo-Burmese library?  It costs £30 to join.

http://www.angloburmeselibrary.com/

If you are a member you can gain access to quite a bit of information which includes BMDs.

Do I take it that you don't know when and where James was born?

See above as to how I know the exact date of marraige.

Best wishes

Andy

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 July 17 11:02 BST (UK) »
I see from the marriage register that James Gibb lived in Poozoondoung which was the location of a number of rice mills.

There's a mention of a mill being built by James Gibb, a Scot, in 1882 https://goo.gl/Q2mGpL

Also on the marriage register I noticed that James & Jane Gibb were witnesses to the marriage of John Patterson (28, engineer of Poozoondoung) and Ellen Cooley (23. late of Battersea) in December 1880.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 July 17 11:11 BST (UK) »
When daughter Isabella Margaret (26 July 1881) is baptised (3 Oct 1881) he is an "engineer and mill owner" of Fraser Street, Rangoon. However by 1884 when Margaret (12 June 1884) is baptised (27 Aug 1884) he is just "engineer" again ( of Poozoondoung).
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andygibb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 July 17 11:36 BST (UK) »
When daughter Isabella Margaret (26 July 1881) is baptised (3 Oct 1881) he is an "engineer and mill owner" of Fraser Street, Rangoon. However by 1884 when Margaret (12 June 1884) is baptised (27 Aug 1884) he is just "engineer" again ( of Poozoondoung).

Yes there looks to be a few changes in his roles during his Burma days.

Just for your information Isabella went on to marry Andrew Greig Barr  as in AG Barr (eventual makers of Barr's Irn Bru!) but Andrew died after they were only married a year, leaving behind a pregnant Isabella. All the Barr wealth went to Andrew's brother, and not his wife!

Andy