Author Topic: Samuel Cowan Family  (Read 1716 times)

Offline suzyvan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Cowan Family
« on: Thursday 20 July 17 03:07 BST (UK) »
Is anyone researching Samuel Cowan and his family of maybe Ballylintagh, and  Co. Down in their family tree?
I need information on my relative Margaret Cowan the youngest daughter of Samuel Cowan, she married James Heron whom had pre deceased Margaret unknown when or whom his Heron family was.
Margaret Cowan was born circa 1745? died 22 May 1811 age 66 and interred in the Heron Mausoleum in Killinchy Church yard burial ground,  with some of her children.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Cowan Family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 July 17 23:05 BST (UK) »
You have access to the Heron mausoleum records is there more information there?

1796 The Cowan/Heron are not listed as Flax growers in your named areas in Co Down see http://www.failteromhat.com/flax/down.php or in Ballylintagh   in Aghadowey civil parish Co Londonderry see http://www.failteromhat.com/flax/derry.php 
 A later record, that is simple , incomplete in selection and material nevertheless helps others complete the tree etc is :-
1823-1837  Tithes Applotment Books based upon the work of the
Irish Genealogy Hub listing for each parish in Northern Ireland,
The relevant original books are in the
Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) Belfast

are you connecting to everybody who appears in this
Heron, John-Townland: Ballymacashane Year: 1833-Killinchy-Down
Heron, John-Townland: Raffery Year: 1833-Killinchy-Down-
Heron, Nathl.-Townland: Raffery Year: 1833-Killinchy-Down-
Heron, Thomas-Townland: Raffery Year: 1833-Killinchy-Down-
Heron, Thomas, Jr.-Townland: Raffery Year: 1833-Killinchy-Down
Herron, James-Townland: Aughnadaragh Year: 1833-Killinchy-Down-
These townlands from a hub.

Ros Davies has a map of the townlands see http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/MAPS/KillinchyTownlands.htm

I think Aghadowey is on the northern side of Lough Neagh , about 60 miles away from Hillsborough, which in turn is about 18 miles from Killinchy. I didnt glean your connections for the names

So I am not getting anywhere, hoping others will join in
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 July 17 23:11 BST (UK) »
I left this out
there are manuscript trees but they might not be the same lines  in the Blackwood Family History manuscript trees Collection in the LinenHall library, Belfast. I think it most likely to be of the Downpatrick branch. Visit if you can give them warning helps, if you cant then I suggest you write to them asking them for photocopying estimates only if they think your knowledge relevant and be prepared to pay the extra for post and packing if you are tempted.  “The Library welcomes all research enquiries, whether made in person, by phone, fax, letter or e-mail. Enquiries from members will be answered free of charge. Visitors from afar, and in particular those engaged in serious research projects, are recommended to make prior contact with the Library to ensure that they receive the best possible service. More complex enquiries should be made by letter, fax, or e-mail. Enquiries of this kind from within the British Isles will normally be answered free of charge, apart from any copying and postage charges. A minimum charge of £2 will normally be made in respect of overseas enquiries. A4 photocopies b&w are 20p.  The Library may be able to assist those with more extensive research requirements on terms subject to negotiation with the Librarian. Contact the Library for further information on info@linenhall.com or Telephone 028 9032 1707. Their address is The Linen Hall Library,17 Donegall Square North, Belfast BT15GB, Northern Ireland, see their website for contact details or use Email:info@linenhall.com.
The volume references for
➢   COWAN   Volume 16 p52
➢   HERON   Volumes 23p1 Greenfield, 25, 29, 31, 42T, 45, 75, 86 Reid
➢   Hoping this is includes new information for you
➢   good luck
worldwide

Offline suzyvan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 July 17 00:34 BST (UK) »
Wow! Thank you  BallyaltikilliganG.
Yes I have taken huge amount of information from the mausoleum inscription, has many Heron family members, however does not have the  information needed for my James Heron, only says late husband of Margaret youngest daughter of Samuel Cowan!!
He must be a direct family member to have his name and wife and some children interred in the Heron plot!  One presumes they are from Killyleagh area.
The Heron's are attached to Ardigon House and every member of the family used all the same names of past generations so there are dozens of James.  There are no entries earlier enough to fit my James unfortunately. I will make contact with Blackwood Family History manuscript trees Collection in the Linen Hall library.  I chose the Cowan line as thought [?] it maybe easier!  again no records earlier enough on line. I have joined NIFHS so will  ask for some look ups with them. Will go one step at a time.

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 July 17 11:49 BST (UK) »
thank you for your reply and
more good luck forward
worldwide

Offline Cboyd13

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 August 18 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hi I know this thread is old but just came across a Samuel Cowan in my family tree he is my mum great great grandfather on her fathers irish side his Daughter Mary Cowan married Samuel Boyd and funny enough called their son samuel Cowan Boyd I think Mary was born around 1934. Correct family?

Offline suzyvan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Cboyd13
I have  recorded  these details for future reference unfortunately they are c 1900's... too late... for my Samuel Cowan - Boyd connection of late 1700's and early 1800's, the names certainly are familiar! Thanks for your contact.. Kaz

Offline Cboyd13

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 12:12 BST (UK) »
Sorry I meant 1800’s it was a typo any info woukd be great

Offline Cboyd13

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile