Author Topic: Fraser, William, wife Isabella Sinclair  (Read 2687 times)

Offline MsChappie .

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Fraser, William, wife Isabella Sinclair
« on: Thursday 20 July 17 10:33 BST (UK) »
These are my 2nd G grandparents. I am trying to find their parents. Birth dates for William 1799-1882, Isabella 1805-1890. I am finding conflicting parents on both sides. My written family history talks about an aunt (as a young girl) visiting her grandmother Isabella in the Castle of Mey and something about the Earl of Sinclair. I cannot find any mention of her as the Earl only had 3 sons. Any ideas?

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fraser, William, wife Isabella Sinclair
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 July 17 12:09 BST (UK) »
Scotlands People have a William Fraser marrying an Isabella Sinclair in 1831 in Cawdor, Nairn.

That would fit with a couple in Croy & Dalcross, Inverness on Freecen for 1851 which has a William 47 and Isabella 45 Fraser whose eldest child was 19 which would fit nicely with an 1831 marriage.  Both this William and Isabella were born in Cawdor.

Scotlands People have an Isobel Sinclair born 14.10.1805 in Cawdor to William Sinclair and Margaret Clunas;
And two possibles for William in Cawdor:
1.5.1801 to William Fraser and Jane Gowan
29.4.1798 to Hugh Fraser and Catharine McIntosh

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 July 17 20:19 BST (UK) »
Croy is only 3 and a half miles from Cawdor and Dalcross five miles.

Offline MsChappie .

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 July 17 04:21 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the delay in replying - computer crash. Thank you for this information - it kind of substantiates what I have found. I have so far: Isabella's parents as William Sinclair (1777) and Margaret Clunas (1776) and Margaret's parents as James Clunas (1736) and Jean Macintosh....not proven yet.
William Fraser (1799), Isabella's husband: his parents as William Fraser (1756) and Jane Gowan (1775). Paternal William parents:  Alexander Fraser and Isobel Macintosh. Jane's parents: John Gowie and Jane Davidson Not sure about any of these four.
I have to refer to maps of these areas as I don't know them - living in Australia.