Author Topic: John Brown or McCulloch?  (Read 647 times)

Offline Vugts

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Brown or McCulloch?
« on: Thursday 20 July 17 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone!

I wonder if someone might be able to help with a problem I am having. I was looking for the birth certificate for my great grandfather John Brown. I already had his marriage and death certificate which gave his parents names as William Brown and Jane Crop but I have been unable to find it.

From his MC and DC I was able to narrow down his year of birth to around 1897. The problem I have is that William and Jane were not married until 1903 (in Inverness). I found that Jane Crop had been previously married to an Alexander McCulloch in 1882 in Calton? district of Camlachie, Glasgow. I know that this is the same Jane Crop as both MC's have her parents names as William Crop and Margaret Boyd. I haven't been able to find birth details under either potential fathers. As a result I am not sure where and when (exactly) John was born.

What I am trying to find out is who is John Brown's father? Is it William Brown, who then went on to marry his mother six years later or, was it Alexander McCulloch (or even someone else!?)?

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Regards

Scott

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Brown or McCulloch?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 July 17 17:30 BST (UK) »
It's possible that his mother may have had this child between marriages and neither man is his father.

Same Ref No = Same birth.
An illegitimate child is entitled to the same last name as his mother or he can use her maiden name

MCCULLOCH
JOHN STEWART
M
647/ 929
Hamilton

CROP
JOHN STEWART
M
647/ 929
Hamilton

Although Jane Crop was born in Kilsyth in 1866, her father was a coal miner and moved around .
She had siblings born in Stirlingshire and Lanarkshire
Her family was in Dalziel, Lanarkshire in 1871 and another child named Georgina Crop was born here in 1873.

1871:
1 Victoria Pit, Dalziel   
Name   Age
William Crop   40 b Bothwell
Margaret Crop   39 b Old Monkland
John Crop   17 B Old Monkland
Issabella Crop   14 B Old Monkland
Willhelmina Crop   8 B Kilsyth
Jane Crop   6 b Kilsyth
Mary Crop   1 b Dalziel

Offline Vugts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 July 17 17:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I have had a look at the BC and this is certainly him. He appears to have been illegitimate as you say. All we can say for sure is that Alexander McCulloch could not be the father as, according to his birth certificate, he had died in Lancaster, England some four years previously.

Many thanks for your help.

Scott

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 July 17 18:08 BST (UK) »
Glad to be of help.