Author Topic: "Strabin, County Donegal??"  (Read 2034 times)

Offline Pollock+

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Strabin, County Donegal??"
« on: Thursday 20 July 17 19:02 BST (UK) »
I have a birth record for a child born in Scotland in 1869 that lists the place of her parents' marriage as "Strabin, County Donegal. I understand that Strabane in County Tyrone was historically known as Straban and that it borders County Donegal.  In searching I  do not find a Strabin (with an "i".) This leads me to think that couple most likely was referring to Strabane. But since it also says "County Donegal," I'm not sure. 

Would any part of Strabane have been considered at that time to be in County Donegal?  Is there another place called Strabin? Or is it just most likely that the Scottish record lists the incorrect county?

Thoughts?

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: "Strabin, County Donegal??"
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 July 17 19:29 BST (UK) »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_townlands_of_County_Donegal

Strabinna Upper and Lower?  Included on this link for townlands Co Donegal

Offline Pollock+

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 July 17 20:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks, conahycalling, for the quick response and letting me know about Strabinna Upper and Strabinna Lower in County Donegal! This was very helpful to me.

From a quick peek online I see that these are in Kilcar parish in the southwest part of Donegal and not near Strabane at all.  I will need to keep these possibilities in mind as I try to track down the origins of Daniel Pollock and Margaret McLaughlan of "Strabin, County Donegal" and not assume they were in Strabane.

Thanks again!

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 July 17 20:43 BST (UK) »
Scottish birth certificates contain the date and place of the parents marriage for the years 1855 and 1861 onwards. So if there were any other children born in Scotland it might be worth checking the information on the birth certs in case a different or clearer place of marriage is shown.

Strabane was never in Co. Donegal but until partition some marriages in Donegal were registered there. (The registration area crossed the county border).

What’s the date of the marriage and what denomination were the couple?
Elwyn

Offline Pollock+

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 July 17 22:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your response.

Re: date of the marriage and denomination of the couple:
The Scottish birth record says Daniel Pollock married Margaret McLaughlan on 16 May 1868. The couple were Roman Catholic.

Re: any other children born in Scotland:
The birth record is for their first born, Saran Ann Pollock, on 20 October 1869. No other children were born to them before they left Ireland or before they emigrated to U.S. in 1871, and the US records don't have the detail the Scottish records do.

I happened  to see a posting from way back in 2009 by "aghadowey" that was replying to another user looking for Pollock information.   They wrote: "Daniel Pollock m.1869 (Diocese of Derry) Margaret McLaughlin. See here- scroll down a bit or search for 'pollock' to find entry."  Unfortunately the referenced page at irelandroots.com is no longer available. I know the dates are off by a year and I'm not sure what geographic area the Diocese of Derry covers but the names of the bride and groom are the same and I believe "Daniel Pollock" is a less common name so I thought it would at least be worth a look.  Dates of marriages are not always recorded accurately for all kinds of reasons...

Offline Pollock+

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 July 17 22:24 BST (UK) »
I have only a little further information about the couple's early years.

Margaret McLaughlan, born ca. 1850/1851 in county Mayo.(Possible middle initial "s)
Her parents were Bernard McLaughlan and Sarah McKinley, both born in Ireland

Daniel Pollock, born ca. 1840-8850, Ireland
He was a shoemaker.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 July 17 22:29 BST (UK) »
I searched for the marriage in the civil records and in the RC parish records and can’t find any record of it in either year. I don’t know the source that Aghadowey used but she is on this site regularly and you could send her a PM asking if she can assist locating the 1869 marriage again.

The RC Diocese of Derry includes the Inishowen peninsula in Donegal. That’s an area where the surname McLaughlan is particularly common.  (I think they are supposed to have originated in the Scottish Western isles and came down to Donegal in the 1300s and 1400s as mercenaries). So that fits with a possible marriage in Donegal. Just we can’t find it.
Elwyn

Offline Pollock+

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 July 17 22:49 BST (UK) »
I really appreciate your taking the time to look in the records and giving me the background info as well.   I will send aghadowey a message as well, on the slim chance that they will still have the record from 2009.  If I get a definitive answer on "Strabin" I will post it here.

Wishing you well!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 July 17 23:50 BST (UK) »
I merely posted a link to a webpage but unfortunately it no longer exists and I wasn't able to find an archived copy of the information.

R.C. Diocese of Derry registers online here don't include marriages for that period-
http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0373
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!