Author Topic: Cocayne family of Ashbourne Derbyshire  (Read 2132 times)

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cocayne family of Ashbourne Derbyshire
« on: Thursday 20 July 17 22:10 BST (UK) »
Someone was wanting info on the Cockayne's of Ashbourne Derbyshire- Well my great grandmother was a Cockayne, her name was Sarah Rosetta and she was a twin, her twin was called Charlotte....they were born around 1850/60's.......Sarah, my great grandmother died in the 1940's, ....She married an Irish man/gypsy, who came to Asbourne from the potato famine in Ireland in the mid 1800s......his name was Hugh Barratt/Barrett..... they had 7 children. ....... Lucy, Ada, Minnie, Bill, Henry, Eliza and Alfred.........my grandmother Lucy was the eldest born April 14th 1888, I think she was born in Pinxton as her father Hugh was in Insurance around there.......Sarah had a lot of brother's and sisters living around the Ashbourne area in the mid 1800s, quite a few spinsters.....My grandmother Lucy married Arthur Thorpe from Hucknall (born in Falkirk Scotland in 1886)  they met whilst in Domestic Service in South Normanton, married May 1908 and lived near Clowne Derbyshire, then thinks Cresswell before settling in Hucknall Notts where my mother Margaret was born, Feb 18th 1920, she was their 4th child..... they had 6 children.....Dorcas born 1909, Jack born 1911, Joe born 1912, Margaret born 1920, Alan born 1928 and Grace born 1930.......My mother Margaret married Joseph Housley from Greasley Notts in 1941 and had 6 children - Julian, Lynn, Elaine, Barbara, Philip and Valerie......I am  Lynn, now Taylor, married in 1970 and have 1 daughter Jemma, born 1978 - 2 grandchildren..........I was born in Hucknall in 1945 and now live in Newthorpe, near Eastwood Notts......is this helpful ?

Online larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Re: Cocayne family of Ashbourne Derbyshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 July 17 15:19 BST (UK) »
Births Belper Mar 1863 7b/454 Charlotte Cockayne and Sarah Cockayne ( No Rosetta indicated)

1871 census at Alfreton has 8 year old Sarah and Charlotte with their parents James aged 54 b Nottingham  and Charlotte aged 37 b Alfreton Cockayne , other kids are James aged 6, Joseph aged 4 and John aged 1.

Marriage Belper Jun 1886 7b/847 Sarah Cockayne and Herbert Barratt. 14 June 1886 at Alfreton Sarah aged 23 father James. Herbert aged 20 father John.

1891 census in Alfreton Herbert is a coal miner born Farnsfield Notts. Lucy is 2 years old and Ada 7 months
1901 Herbert is a 33 year old coal miner still born in Farnsfield, Sarah wife aged 38 born Swanwick and Lucy aged 12 other children Ada 10, William 8 , Marina 5 , Eliza 4, Henry 2 and Alfred 11 months.

1871 census, 3 year old Herbert Barratt is with his parents John aged 32 b Pilsley, Derbys and Martha aged 35 born S Normanton. Not sure where the Irish connection comes in yet.

Hope this is a help.

AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Online larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 July 17 15:31 BST (UK) »
Ok I am a little confused now, I have found a Hugh and Rosetta Barratt living in Mansfield, he is born Yorkshire she is born Monmouthshire. Their marriage was Sept 1896 in Leeds her maiden name Bird. Is this where your Hugh and Rosetta comes from?

Bu*%$r seems all the info I found is already  known, twenty minutes of life I will not get back  ;D
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=240391.0
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 July 17 15:56 BST (UK) »
I thought my great grandfather was called Hugh Barratt and was from Ashbourne of Irish decent, but have been informed that it was Herbert Barratt and he was from Farnsfield, this is news to me, obviously, someone in my family have been telling me wrong or as the years have progressed things have got confused, all the family members are now deceased, so I cannot check, I remember the stories of the Irish (Barratts) settling in Ashbourne from the Potato Famine, maybe that is earlier ???......As you have checked the records, you are obviously right as the wife's name (sarah) and the names of all the children's are also correct, also 1886, the year they married.......Lucy born in 1888 was my grandmother, she was bought up in Pinxton, I am sure of that, her dad was in Insurance, it is a long way to go to work from Pinxton to Farnsfield so something is wrong and I remember all the other children as my great aunts and uncles, Ada, Minnie, Billy, Henry, Eliza and Alfie, (obviously not in that order of birth), when I was growing up and such happy memories too........Many thanks for your help folks, very much appreciated.....

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 July 17 16:52 BST (UK) »
larkspur - I am very confused as I am certain my grandmother Lucy was born in 1888, bought up in Pinxton and her dad was in Insurance, I was even shown the house when I was a child growing up back in the 1950's - all the other siblings names are correct though.......Never heard any mention of him working at a pit or being born in Farnsfield, but there you go........Info can get a bit out of context over the years, but I will keep checking on it, will be difficult as all the family members mentioned and their children are now deceased, just a couple of elderly cousins left who may know......Thankyou so much for your help..........Libralady

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 July 17 17:05 BST (UK) »
larkspur - Just did a bit of digging..........Sarah Cockaynes father's was married twice and his first marriage was to a woman called Mary, when he was married to her, they lived in Kirk Ireton, which is near to Ashbourne and I believe he was a Coal Miner then....this is probably where I have got confused with Ashbourne........His first wife died and he remarried Charlotte Ball from Swanwick and had his 8 children, Sarah and Charlotte the first born being twins (Sarah being my great grandmother)......... there have been so many stories told to me over the years.......But I am certain my grandmother Lucy and her siblings were bought up in Pinxton and their father Herbert/Hugh Barratt was in Insurance........???????

Online larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 July 17 10:53 BST (UK) »
Lucy Barratt was baptised in Alfreton 4th Nov 1888 parents Herbert and Sarah.
1891 census the family were in Alfreton, Herbert was a coal miner. Lucy aged 2 years and Ada aged 7 months.
1901 census the family were in Pinxton, Herbert still  a coal miner. Henry aged 2 birth given as S Normanton and Baby Alfreds birth as Pinxton. So the family moved to Pinxton between 1898 and 1900 when Lucy would have been around 10-11.

Maybe the insurance job came later. Lucy's marriage certificate would tell you her fathers occupation.

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 July 17 11:19 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Larkspur - I knew she came from Pinxton, Lucy the eldest was my grandmother and she was in service in South Normanton when she met my grandfather Arthur Thorpe later........People did travel around a lot in those days, you had to be where the work was....very grateful for your help - Libralady...

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 July 17 17:40 BST (UK) »
Someone was wanting info on the Cockayne's of Ashbourne Derbyshire- Well my great grandmother was a Cockayne, her name was Sarah and she was a twin, her twin was called Charlotte....they were born around 1863.......Sarah, my great grandmother died in the 1940's, ....She married  Hugh Barratt/Barrett thinks from Farnsfield..... they had 7 children. ....... Lucy, Ada, Minnie, Bill, Henry, Eliza and Alfred.........my grandmother Lucy was the eldest born April 14th 1888, I think she was born in Farnsfield then moved to Pinxton, her father Hugh was a miner.......Sarah had a lot of family living around the Notts/Derbys area in the mid 1800s,.....My grandmother Lucy married Arthur Thorpe from Hucknall (born in Falkirk Scotland in 1886)  they met whilst in Domestic Service in South Normanton, married May 1908 and lived firstly at Nether Heage, Clowne, then thinks Cresswell before settling in Hucknall Notts ..... they had 6 children.....Dorcas, Jack, Jo, Margaret, Alan and Grace .......My mother Margaret married Joseph Housley from Greasley Notts in 1941 and had 6 children - Julian, Lynn, Elaine, Barbara, Philip and Valerie............is this helpful ?