Author Topic: 1465 Latin will last bit  (Read 738 times)

Offline grantleydawn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My collateral ancestors
    • View Profile
1465 Latin will last bit
« on: Friday 21 July 17 06:01 BST (UK) »
And finally, I need help to complete/correct a transcription of this 1465 Will of Henericus RICHARD alias FERMERE de Langford.

Can anyone help me please, as I am still struggling.

Previous line ended with “It(e)m volo et ordino q(uo)d ten(emen)tum meu(m) cu(m) om(n)ib(us) terris

1 - pratis pastuis et pasturis ....? .... omn(i)bus et ubiq(ue) p(er)tinentijs suis .... .... in
2 - Langford remaneat Agnet(is) ux(o)r mee ad .... .... .... Et .... decessium dicto
3 - Agnet(i)s volo q(uo)d dict(o) ten(en)tium .... .... en omn(i)bus et sing(u)lis suis p(er)tinen’ ut ....
4 - remaneat Thome filio meo tenend(is) libe(rum) hered(is) et assignat’ suis .... It(e)m volo
5 - q(uo)d dict(o) Agne(ti)s uxor mea habeat ad sua(m) disposic(i)o(n)em et sustentacion(em) .... omn(i)bus alijs
6 - bonis meis mobilib(us) et immobilib(us) sua(s) p(er)t(in)ens de .... libe(rum) .... et assig.... .... ....
7 - .... de eis in ferma mius .... Et ad .... .... .... .... et ....
8 - p’.... et ad deb.... mea .... et .... p’.... .... Thoma(m) filium meum ....
9 - .... et ordino meum .... execut...... .... .... .... .... .... ....
10 - .... mee ac executoas mei ordino et fac(i)o p(er) p(re)sentes .... .... ....
11 - in .... theologia .... .... de Landford p(re)dict(us) .... cum .... ....
12 - .... .... .... .... .... .... lego .... .... .... suo .... Resisuum
13 - vero bonor(um) meor(um) sup(er)ius non legator(um) do et lego Thome filio meo ut .... ....
14 - .... p(er) .... mea .... .... .... .... .... Indico hijs .... .... Johne
15 - .... .... Thome .... et .... ....

and I think I read that probate was granted on the 18th October 1467, with his son Thomas as executor.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1465 Latin will last bit
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 July 17 11:28 BST (UK) »
Great job. You have almost all of the first half, bar a few spellings and word-endings. I agree the details of the probate.

Someone else may do better than me with the name of the property (lines 1 & 3), and with the witnesses’ names.

=====
1 - pratis pascuis & pasturis cu(m) eor(um) om(n)ib(us) & ubiq(ue) p(er)tinencijs suis at Wo(...) Bornes in

2 - Langford remaneat agneti ux(or)i mee ad terminu(m) vite sue Et post decessum dicte

3 - Agnet(is) volo q(uo)d dict(um) ten(ement)um Wo(...) Bornes cu(m) om(n)ib(us) et sing(u)lis suis p(er)tinen(cijs) ut ass(er)it(ur)

4 - Remaneat Thome filio meo tenend(um) sibi hered(ibus) & assignat(is) suis imp(er)petuu(m)  It(e)m volo

5 - q(uo)d dict(a) Agnes uxor mea habeat ad sua(m) disposic(i)onem & sustenac(i)onem de om(n)ib(us) alijs

6 - bonis meis mobilib(us) & immobilib(us) sua(m) p(ar)tem de iur(e) sibi debita(m) & assignand(am) post ver(um)

7 - Inventariu(m) de eis in forma iuris p(er)ficiend(um) Et ad istud testam(entum) meu(m) b(e)n(e) & fideliter

8 - p(er)implend(um) & ad debita mea b(e)n(e) & fidelit(er) p(er)solvenda dict(um) Thoma(m) filiu(m) meum co(n)sti-

9 - tuo & ordino meum l(egi)timum executore(m) Sup(ra)visore(m) vero huius testa(menti) mei ac ultime

10 - voluntat(is) mee ac executoris mei ordino & fac(i)o p(er) p(re)sentes magi(stru)m Ric(ard)um Marchall(?)

11- in sacra theologia bacallau(reu)m vicariu(m) de Langford p(re)dicto Rogans eum cu(m) effectu

12 - quat(en)us volu(er)it istud onus suscip(er)e cui lego viginti solid(os) pro suo labor(e) Residuum

13 - vero bonor(um) meor(um) sup(er)ius non legator(um) do & lego Thome filio meo ut ip(s)e illa

14 - disponat p(ro) a(n)i(m)a mea p(ro)ut r(espo)nder(e) debeat cora(m) sum(m)o Judice hijs testib(us) d(omi)no Joh(an)ne

15 - Taillor(?) cap(ella)no Thoma Byll & Thoma Gyressh(?)

16 - Probat(um) fuit sup(ra)script(um) test(amentu)m apud Lamehith xviijmo die mensis Octobr(is)

17 - Anno d(omi)ni mill(es)imo CCCClxvijmo ac approbat(um) &c Et com(m)issa fuit adm(ini)strac(i)o o(m)niu(m) &

18 - sing(u)lor(um) bonor(um) &c Thome filio & executori &c de b(e)n(e) adm(ini)strand(o) &c ac de

19 - pleno Inventario bonor(um) &c citra f(estu)m s(anc)ti Andree ap(osto)li prox(imum) &c ac de pleno et

20 - vero co(m)poto &c Approbac(i)one & insinuac(i)one &c p(er) officiale(m) de Langford Lincoln’ dioc(esis)

21 - prius fact(is) revocat(is) cassat(is) & an(n)ullat(is) &c.

... fields, grazing and pastures, with every and everywhere the appurtenances, at Wo(...) Bornes in Langford should remain with Agnes my wife to the end of her life, and after the death of the said Agnes I will that the said tenement Wo(...) Bornes, with all and singular its appurtenances as claimed, should remain with Thomas my son, to hold to himself, his heirs and his assigns for ever. Item, I will that the said Agnes my wife should have for her disposition and maintenance her part which is due to her by right of all my other goods moveable and immoveable, to be assigned after a true inventory of them has been completed in form of law; and for well and faithfully implementing this my will, and for well and faithfully paying my debts, I constitute and ordain my son Thomas my lawful executor; and as supervisor of this my testament and last will, and of my executor, I do ordain and appoint for the present Master Richard Marchall(?), Bachelor of Theology, Vicar of Langford aforesaid, asking him in effect if he will be willing to undertake the extent of the task, to whom I bequeath twenty shillings for his work. The rest of my goods not bequeathed above I do give and bequeath to Thomas my son, that he should dispose them for the good of my soul, as he should answer before the highest Judge; these being witnesses, Master John Taillor(?), chaplain, Thomas Byll and Thomas Gyressh(?)

The above-written will was proved at Lambeth on the 18th day of the month of October in the year of the Lord one thousand 467, and approved etc.; and administration of all and singular the goods etc. was granted to Thomas, the son and executor etc., to truly administer etc., and for a complete inventory of goods etc. after the Feast of St Andrew the Apostle next etc., and for full and true accounts etc.; by approval and insertion etc. by the official at Langford, in the diocese of Lincoln, (any) made previously having been revoked, dismissed and annulled etc.
====

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 July 17 14:50 BST (UK) »
This answers a couple of outstanding queries ...

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/oxon/vol17/175-208#h3-0055

“Henry Ricards (d. 1467), a Langford wool merchant, gave £6 13s. 4d. to an image of St George 'newly made in Langford church' and for the completion of a new pavement and seats; he also left a ewe to each of seven principal lights, and a cow to the 'adjoining' chapel of St Mary in the churchyard, which had perhaps been established as a chantry chapel. A chantry chaplain (celebrating apparently in the church rather than the chapel) was to receive £5 6s. 8d. a year for seven years after Ricards's death. (fn. 455)

455. Oxon. Wills, 26–7 (witnessed by John Taillor, chaplain).” [= J. R. H. Weaver and A. Beardwood (eds), Some Oxfordshire Wills (ORS 39, 1958)]

ADDED
From the same source ...
"Twenty-three vicars of Langford are known before the Reformation. Most had been ordained priest before their appointment, and at least six had received a higher education, including Richard Marshall (vicar 1458–79), fellow of University College, Oxford."

Offline grantleydawn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My collateral ancestors
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 July 17 23:21 BST (UK) »
Oh, double wow.

Latin and I are not good friends, we just tolerate each other. You know that I would never have completed this without your help.

I do hate just picking the eyes out of a document. As often happens, vital bits are missed or misinterpreted.

This Will is the start of several Wills to do for this family. Luckily there is only one more in Latin and even luckier for me, it is more readable.

I now need to go through your work in detail.

This is an initial thank you.

From one very, very happy chappy.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 July 17 09:02 BST (UK) »
You're most welcome. Happy to help.