Author Topic: N.P. Crayford Kent help please with baptism and marriage of Horatio James/Collin  (Read 2127 times)

Offline Karenannie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Hi all.
I'm looking for help with a baptism and marriage for NP. Crayford Kent.
The baptism is for Horatio James/Collins Cir 1807
Married to Mary (surname unknown) C 1827
Child possibly named Olive born C 1827/28

(Horatio was a convict, transported to vdl in 1828, tried at Surrey, age given was 21, and native place was N.P Crayford Kent. ) He is known as Horatio Collins, real name/alias  James.
His gaol report states he had a wife,Mary James and a child (looks like Olive, but possibly Oliver/Clive ) and that she was with her Father and a Mr. Thomas of N.P. Crayford Kent

I've searched baptisms for Olive with no luck so far
I've tried baptisms and with no luck in Kent, but a possible is in august 1807 a baptism for James Horatio, son of James and Margaret Collins. in Camden St. George, Bloomsbury. could be a possibility for James/Collins alias.

any help would be greatly appreciated..
also would someone know the N.P for Crayford is please

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
James Horatio Collins was buried in St Pancras in 1830 so looks like that line of enquiry is ruled out

also would someone know the N.P for Crayford is please

I was wondering that all the way through reading your post. I'm thinking it's probably just 'Native Place'

Afraid I also came up blank with Crayford searches

Did he make it over to Australia? Have you got death details?
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Just adding that he was convicted at Guildford, Surrey in 1828. 

There is an undated record on F M P for a Horatio Collins age 19 which gives place of birth as Oxford occ Hawker
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Quite a highly sourced entry in an Ancestry tree which also had a link to this entry on Founders and Survivors

http://foundersandsurvivors.org/pubsearch/convict/chain/c31a31060963

At least we know he had a dimple on his chin

The tree has him conditionally pardoned in 1841, married as Horatio James in 1842, bust in 1866, stealing bees in 1870, going on the run and dead by 1871

They speculate that father may be Samuel Collins of Crayford, but they admit evidence is circumstantial
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
The description on that link provided by Stevie Steve matches the one I quoted above where his place of birth is given as Oxford  ???
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Karenannie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Thank you all for your quick responses..
Stevie Steve- Yes, he made it over to Australia- Tasmania-I have his gaol description and report.. Also his marriage (in Australia) to Elizabeth Beams, ( and his life in Australia)

From his gaol report I took it that his wife, Mary was from Crayford, but I then saw it was on other records as Horatio's native place. He left her behind in England, along with their child.

Thank you for clarifying the NP Crayford - not being familiar with Crayford I thought it might have been abbreviation for a  specific area in Crayford. I did ask Mr. Google but he was no help :)

Stevie Steve- Horatios first son to Elizabeth was named Samuel so perhaps that might have been the theory behind that circumstantial evidence.

Rosie 99- can I ask what FindMyPast IS? re - There is an undated record on F M P for a Horatio Collins age 19 which gives place of birth as Oxford occ Hawke  This is interesting, Id like to look into this a bit further.

At least I can eliminate James Horatio Collins- birth year was similar- place different though, but could have explained the James/Collins alias though

Thank you for your replies and helping. :)

Offline Karenannie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
well thats odd Rosie 99. looks like I answered my own question. when I typed FindMyPast that is what I sent but I see on my reply it has actually come up as FIND mY pAST.  :)  FORGET i ASKED  :)

Offline Karenannie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Rosie 99
re-"The description on that link provided by Stevie Steve matches the one I quoted above where his place of birth is given as Oxford  ???"

I've looked over the prison Hulk record, where he was transferred from Corsemonger lane to the Ganymede Hulk at Chatham. I see hes recorded as being aged 19 at the time, but it doesn't shoe his native place..
I cant see any of the records that state its Oxford.
as for FindMyPast I'm not a paid member so cant access it.
I've accessed the criminal register and uk prison hulk  and hes gaol report, his description etc

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The English criminal records show him as Horatio Collins (alias James) or Horatio James (alias Collins), 19 when convicted at Guildford, 28 July 1828, of housebreaking - namely breaking and entering the dwelling house of John Puttock, at Cranley, and stealing various articles.  Sentenced initially to death, but this was commuted to transportation for life.  Occupation: tinman.

Capitally convicted before.  Bad character & connexions.  Transported 18 March 1829 on the Lady Harewood.

Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)