Author Topic: "Who Do You Think You Are", Series 14: #3 Claire Balding  (Read 7652 times)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Who Do You Think You Are", Series 14: #3 Claire Balding
« Reply #27 on: Friday 21 July 17 17:50 BST (UK) »
  "She" had "her" agenda and was determined to fulfil it.  :-X :-X :-X
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 21 July 17 17:55 BST (UK) »
Perhaps it's time, than rather than using celebrities, that they asked for the General Public who had found interesting people in their family to share their findings. They could still show the records and how they were found. I'm sure there are some really interesting stories out there which are far better than the "forced" celebrity ones.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 21 July 17 18:00 BST (UK) »
Perhaps it's time, than rather than using celebrities, that they asked for the General Public who had found interesting people in their family to share their findings. They could still show the records and how they were found. I'm sure there are some really interesting stories out there which are far better than the "forced" celebrity ones.

A bit predictable I thought...I couldn't agree with you more Jan.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 21 July 17 18:00 BST (UK) »
interesting people
are in the eye of the beholder.
I have interesting people that would probably make everyone else yawn.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 21 July 17 18:06 BST (UK) »
This was the most tedious episode yet in what, for me, is proving to be the poorest series since it started.   

If the rest of the episodes follow the emerging pattern then maybe they should re-name it 'I am who I am because he/she did it first"
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 21 July 17 18:08 BST (UK) »
interesting people

Exactly, but just because someone is a celebrity it doesn't make their ancestors anymore interesting. 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 21 July 17 18:31 BST (UK) »
As I treat the programme as light entertainment, I wasn't too disappointed. What surprised me was there was somebody else other than the British scientist Alfred Bird who had anything to do with baking powder and its promotion.

I've always liked Clare Balding at the outset when she accompanied Willie Carson, ex jockey, commenting on horse racing.   It would be surprising if she didn't wonder whether she'd inherited some aspect of her sexuality from an ancestor's genes.   Following on from my last sentence, I'd really like to see a follow up of a science programme I viewed donkeys years ago, about the contents of skulls and it was seen that the hypothalamus was a different shape in males and females, so why did one male skull have a female shaped hypothalamus?
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 21 July 17 18:33 BST (UK) »
To be honest I found this episode boring.

English Aristocracy and wealthy Americans just don't excite me at all. Although when I saw the tin of Royal Baking Powder that I could relate to  ;D ;D

Trying so hard to find a gay link in her ancestry was a bit over the top.

I had a great uncle who was gay way back in the day when it was unacceptable. Nice old gent who was always good for half a crown when you met him. I am so pleased that attitudes have changed now as he was ostrecised by some family members.

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 21 July 17 18:35 BST (UK) »
interesting people

Exactly, but just because someone is a celebrity it doesn't make their ancestors anymore interesting.

I saw a couple of variations on WDYTYA years ago using ordinary people.  To my knowledge, neither was repeated so it's probably due to viewing figures.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke