Author Topic: Mary Ann GREEN - Birth either 1884 or 1885  (Read 3059 times)

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Ann GREEN - Birth either 1884 or 1885
« on: Friday 21 July 17 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi!  I was hoping someone could help me work out which is the right Mary Ann Green that I am after.  There appear to be 2 possibilities:

Mary Ann Green
Q2, 1885, 10a, 321 - Lanchester, Durham

Mary Ann Green
Q2, 1884, 10a, 928 - Gateshead, Durham

In the 1911 Census her birth place is listed as Wrekenton which makes me think the Gateshead record might be right, but her DOB is listed as 1885, which fits in with the Lanchester record, and there were members of the extended family also living there, so I cannot narrow it without finding out who the parents were of both the births above! 

I have looked online for any Durham area Baptism records for those years which would be a great help, but cannot locate any.

If anyone could do a lookup for me I would be able to decide which is 'my' Mary Ann Green and then press on down the right path!

Many thanks in advance,

Nina

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann GREEN - Birth either 1884 or 1885
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 July 17 13:23 BST (UK) »
Hi
Do you know who she married? That would give you some idea from the marriage certificate.
Also if she is alive on the 1939 index that would give you her date of birth with would suggest one birth or the other.
But of course she died 1921.The marriage was at Tynemouth 1909.
The mothers maiden names are Coyne in 1885 and Hewitt in 1884.
There's a 1901 census for Mary Ann green age 16 born Wrenkenton d of James and Rose ,with Rose as the second wife.Could that be her?

Does any of that help?

Ciderdrinker

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 July 17 13:26 BST (UK) »
Ciderdrinker pipped me at the post with the mother's maiden names, but you can find them for yourself at

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

(Registration required, but no payment unless you order a certificate)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 July 17 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi ciderdrinker and arthurk - I shall check on those maiden names and see if I can find the marriages and therefore the right Mary!  She married William Gillead in 1909 (lots of spellings for that).   I have also come across the 1901 census and thought that that was her, but going backwards to the 1891 and further becomes quite convoluted with the Green clan and made me wonder if perhaps she was actually not the daughter of James Green???  I need to do more digging!  Many thanks to you both for your swift help - it gives me something to go on!  Nina

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 July 17 14:11 BST (UK) »
Hi me again
It looks like that James Green married Bridget Coyne at Chester le street June 1884 and she died aged 22 at Lanchester June 1886.Which fits with he remarrying Rose Ann Farrell in Sep 1891.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 July 17 14:12 BST (UK) »
You got there before me!  Do you know the name of the Green that Hewitt married in 1884?

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 July 17 14:39 BST (UK) »
It seems Mary Ann Green born 1885 mmn Coyne had a brother Thomas born 1886 Lanchester.  He's not on the 1891 Census with Mary who is in a household in Heworth belonging to a John Green.  Mary is listed as his daughter but surely it must be his granddaughter?  No sign of Thomas ...

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 July 17 01:02 BST (UK) »
You got there before me!  Do you know the name of the Green that Hewitt married in 1884?

There is  baptism on Family Search, in Gateshead for the 1884 Green - Hewitt,  Mary (Ann). It was at St Josephs RC Church so the names are 'latinised' and parents were Jacobi (James) and Annae (Ann)

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JMQ7-RMV

Which complicates matters as the father in this case is another James Green. So far I am not finding a definite  James Green- Ann Hewitt marriage, though there is a James Green - Mary Ann Hewitt marriage in Carlisle District in Q4 1878.

The Tynemouth Registrars reference for the 1909 Gilliead-Green marriage is Register Book W89, entry 150.  That book reference is not on the list of Anglican Church codes, so it was very likely to be either at a registrars office or was registrar attended at a non conformist place of worship.

Boo

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 July 17 07:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo ... Thanks for all the info!  I also came across the 1878 Hewitt-Green marriage and it certainly doesn't help at all that he was also a James ...

Do all latinised records mean that it was a RC church?  I have come across quite a few whilst doing this tree.  Sorry for my ignorance ...

Thanks for the info re the register book for the 1909 marriage - very interesting.

I have tried to find a death for Mary Ann Green nee Hewitt because then I thought I could rule her in or out as the mother depending on when she died but it is a bit of a needle in a haystack.

Would anyone be going to the Durham archives at any time who could look up the 2 full birth entries from 1884 and 1885 for Mary Ann Green or her marriage in 1909?  No doubt both fathers on the birth entries and the one on the marriage will be called James and be coal miners (?), but the address of birth and marriage etc might help clinch the right record?!

If not, no worries.

Nina