Author Topic: How to search for a death cert in the Uk  (Read 857 times)

Offline cathal1958

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How to search for a death cert in the Uk
« on: Friday 21 July 17 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks
can any one give advice on how to find  the death cert of some one who died in the UK, we lost touch after 1965, date of birth of person is 13/1/1904, Ireland,
the Gov  Uk site says it's only digitized up to 1957??? with not knowing where she lived I'm lost as to where to start??? Scotland has been searched already as has Ireland and N Ireland :( any advice greatly appreciated
Cathal, Ireland

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How to search for a death cert in the Uk
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 July 17 12:51 BST (UK) »
For England & Wales upto 2006, you can search with a subscription to FindMyPast or Ancestry.

If you don't have those you can search at www.familysearch.org who are working with FindMyPast to put these transcriptions online.

You can search upto 1983 on freebmd but it is still a work in progress.

Deaths after 1969 have the date of birth, as known by the informant, recorded in the indexes.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 July 17 12:52 BST (UK) »
you could also post their name and we could look for you.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 July 17 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks
can any one give advice on how to find  the death cert of some one who died in the UK, we lost touch after 1965, date of birth of person is 13/1/1904, Ireland,
the Gov  Uk site says it's only digitized up to 1957??? with not knowing where she lived I'm lost as to where to start??? Scotland has been searched already as has Ireland and N Ireland :( any advice greatly appreciated
Cathal, Ireland
GRONI's Northern Ireland indexed deaths only go back 50 years and 'recent' Irish deaths can't be found online either. Have you looked for a probate record in the last place you've a record of the person?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cathal1958

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 July 17 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawnsh,
thanks for that offer, her name Bridget Leonard, 13/1/1904, Ramelton Donegal Ireland, father: Patrick James Leonard,
mother: Margaret Mc Carron,
we dont know if Granny ever got married but is surely deceased ,
Note, her father died in W.W 1 when he enlisted under the name Patrick Jame Lennon, he had come before the courts so may be reason for name change, he died in the War 23rd April 1916 and left his will to my Grandmother Bridget under the name Bridget Lennon address Inver, Donegal Ireland many thanks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline cathal1958

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 July 17 16:55 BST (UK) »
Yes Aghadowey, you are correct I have reached out before and I've got research commissioned in trying to get a conclusion also, is there is a difficulty in inquiring how to search the Records???

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 July 17 09:57 BST (UK) »
Yes Aghadowey, you are correct I have reached out before and I've got research commissioned in trying to get a conclusion also, is there is a difficulty in inquiring how to search the Records???

Search what records? and what sort of research have you 'commissioned'? No point in us going over and over things that have already been searched for you. Starting new topics looking for the same information is only causing confusion and extra work for everyone. If you stick to one topic then all the information found and posted will be in one place.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 July 17 10:36 BST (UK) »
Records for Scotland will be on ScotlandsPeople.
Records for England & Wales can be seen on FreeBMD (for deaths until 1983). A more complete index can be searched in person, at 5 places in the UK.
Records for Northern Ireland should be at GRONI - subject to certain restrictions (Deaths have to be more than 50 years ago, Births have to be more than 100 years ago; Marriages have to be more than 75 years ago.
Records for the Republic of Ireland may be seen on irishgenealogy.ie (subject to similar restrictions as NI).

Other parts of the British Isles aren't part of the UK?! These will be the Isle of Man, Guernsey and Jersey.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)