Author Topic: Photoshop Elements 9 not working after Win 10 updates  (Read 3827 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Photoshop Elements 9 not working after Win 10 updates
« on: Friday 21 July 17 17:43 BST (UK) »
After the recent windows 10 updates, Photoshop Elements 9 no longer configures properly, the menu drop down boxes are blank and some features are missing. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software but the problem persists. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it a case of upgrading or has anyone got any helpful tips. I have looked at resolving the problem on various online forums but haven't reached a satisfactory solution...Maybe the obvious solution is to upgrade...unless anyone has any other advice  :-\ Help!!!
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Photoshop Elements 9 not working after Win 10 updates
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 July 17 19:00 BST (UK) »
W10 takes over a lot of Defaults, in favour of Window's stuff!

If you type Default in Search box then check what the Default is for .jpeg etc and set it to what you want...

Also, If you use Firefox or T/Bird etc you might want to select it to have all defaults, it could be set for 6 out of 11 etc, set it to All
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 July 17 19:02 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 July 17 19:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hallmark for your helpful suggestions..I don't use Firefox or T/Bird but will get OH to investigate your suggestions but I fear updating Photoshop Elements software may be the answer  ::)
Nothing in computer technology stays the same forever  ::)
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 July 17 21:38 BST (UK) »
I got the Win 10 Creators update in June and my PSE 9 still works perfectly. However I only ever run the Editor by selecting
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 9\PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe"

and not the full program (the organiser just ate up all the cpu processing and was simply a pain)
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Elements 9 Organizer\Photoshop Elements 9.0.exe"

I haven't tried the full program to see if this causes the problem just in case it messes the editor menus up so I can't say whether this may be the problem or not, but maybe give just the editor a go. Maybe straight after a reinstallation as well.

Simon

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 July 17 22:17 BST (UK) »
The win 10 updates happened two days ago and my Elements 9 stopped working. Thanks for your response Simon....I and my OH have spend much of the day trying all solutions on the various online forums including Hallmark's suggestion and none of them solved the problem  ::)
I gave in in the end and ordered new software. I can't help but wonder if Microsoft and Adobe are in cahoots with one another as neither seem to offer a satisfactory solution  ::)
They call it progress...I call it legalised theft.
Carol

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 July 17 22:37 BST (UK) »
It's an odd problem, I've just looked at the second copy I have on a laptop which doesn't yet have the Creator's update, and that is also ok, both have last week's updates. Hopefully your new software will have lots of new and better features which you'll wonder how you managed without :)

Simon

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 July 17 22:42 BST (UK) »
There is a lot of confusion and contradictory information out there about the win 10 compatibility of different software it's confusing  ::)
I'm sure you are right Simon....I just resent being forced out of my comfort zone  ;D
Carol

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 July 17 22:49 BST (UK) »
My PSE 9 still works ok.... bit late now to give it a good check over but it worked a couple of days ago editing and resizing some baptism records.
Jenny
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.