Author Topic: Patrick Quinn Ireland  (Read 2527 times)

Offline loord74

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Quinn Ireland
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 23 July 17 06:25 BST (UK) »
--

Offline Fbarry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 23 July 17 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike,

Thanks for all the great info. I didn't scan this particular photo. It was sent to me from a newly discovered cousin who found me through ancestry.com. I will ask her if she can re-scan. I normally scan is a high resolution, but normally as jpg. I didn't know about the advantages of scanning as a tiff, so I will start doing that from now on. Thanks for that tip!

And to japeflakes, Handypandy, terry h, pablo59, trishanne, and McGroger - Thanks to every one of you !!! I think you all did wonderful jobs. I can't believe what you were able to do with a photo in such terrible condition. It's so awesome how all of you take your valuable time to help others on this forum. Your efforts are truly appreciated !!! 

Offline Fbarry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 July 17 14:43 BST (UK) »
And thanks too to loord74, nice job !!

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 July 17 14:48 BST (UK) »
Tiff is fine for home use or photo hosting websites but for Rootschat Jpeg is better as the file size is more manageable for the 500kb limit on here.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline stsearcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Always happy to help with research and photos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 July 17 01:00 BST (UK) »
Another for your collection  :)
CORNWALL, ENION and lots more

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 July 17 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Frank,

I think a lot depends on what you want to do with the photo. As a smallish photo on a website somewhere, the restores so far are more than sufficient.

If you need a high quality (or printed) photo then the highest resolution scan (with no loss of detail through 'compression' = TIFF file) will give you the best quality restore. As others have pointed out, you won't be able to post a large (TIFF) file as an attachment here so you'll have to upload it somewhere online and post a link here so that restorers can download it.

If you're happy with the restores so far, then you don't need to do anything else :)

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for all the great info. I didn't scan this particular photo. It was sent to me from a newly discovered cousin who found me through ancestry.com. I will ask her if she can re-scan. I normally scan is a high resolution, but normally as jpg. I didn't know about the advantages of scanning as a tiff, so I will start doing that from now on. Thanks for that tip!
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 July 17 17:58 BST (UK) »
Like I said...Tiff files are huge and not suitable for posting on Rootschat unless you know what you are doing...as resizing for posting here  often results in compression which is counterproductive..Please see guidelines for posting photos for restoration.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline stsearcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Always happy to help with research and photos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 09:27 BST (UK) »
I wasn't happy with my first attempt so I have tweaked it a little.
CORNWALL, ENION and lots more

Offline Fbarry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 31 July 17 13:33 BST (UK) »
Carol and Mike, thank you both for the tips regarding different file types and their appropriate uses.

STSEARCHER, great job, it looks terrific, thanks for the time spent.