Author Topic: WW2 Service Records  (Read 6470 times)

Offline Welford1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 Service Records
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 08 October 17 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,I received great information on here about my great grandad in ww1 and now I'm trying to find out about my grandad who served in the Second World War,all I know is his number and regiment,private William stalley 4755402 the green howards,and I think years ago when I was a kid I think a battle of Salerno was mentioned,any help would be great.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 08 October 17 20:15 BST (UK) »
The difference between getting info on WW1 and WW2 is that (most of) the former are on line and almost none of the latter are.

The detailed service record you need is still held by MOD and you have to apply (and pay) for it.
https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

1st Bn Green Howards did fight at Salerno among many other places.  Some reading in this book here while you wait for the record!http://www.theunknownwarriors.co.uk/front-cover-story/4531751932

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Welford1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 08 October 17 20:43 BST (UK) »
I didn't know that,thank you for letting me know,I will try to get in touch with them,once again,thank you