Author Topic: Identification of RAF Units post WWI  (Read 2708 times)

Offline hokum50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Identification of RAF Units post WWI
« on: Saturday 22 July 17 04:22 BST (UK) »
I am researching a South African relative who served in the South African Union Defence Force from 1912 to 1918 as a Private in the 4th Umooti Mounted Rifles.
On 24 Sep 1918 he embarked on HMS Argyshire for the UK to join the RAF as an Overseas Cadet.  My belief is that he was a Cadet Pilot.  In the 8 months that he was with the RAF he served at the following units, which I would be grateful if they could be decyphered:
21 Oct 1918 - Posted to CWW
9 Nov 1918 - Posted to 8 CW
7 Jan 1919 - Posted to 2 C Wing
On his record after 2 C Wing there is a reference to Blandford Repatriation Camp.
On 14 Feb 1919 he was discharged from the RAF the following day a London Gazette entry - Air Force List Memoranda Overseas Cadet C P WOOLMORE granted a temporary commission as a 2nd Lt and was repatriated to South Africa in that rank.
Grateful for any clues or directions for searching.

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Identification of RAF Units post WWI
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 July 17 17:37 BST (UK) »
You'll kick yourself. CW = Cadet Wing

Are you absolutely certain that earlier acronym is CWW? Could it be CDD = Cadet Distribution Depot, Hampstead.

One of my great-uncles followed the same path as your chap; he served in the infantry, but then enlisted in the RAF in mid-1918.

Can you post the image (or part thereof)?

Justin

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 July 17 20:41 BST (UK) »
Are you absolutely certain that earlier acronym is CWW? Could it be CDD = Cadet Distribution Depot,

Looking at the record, it is definitely CDD
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hokum50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 July 17 23:41 BST (UK) »
Justin
Shaun
Duh - I consider myself severely kicked Justin, looking at CPW's movements/appointments card I can see CDD and I should have worked out the "C."
A few question if I may:
Was CDD Hampstead a tri-service?
Were 8 Cadet and 2 Cadet Wings, co-located within one Flying Training School or separate FTS?

SANDF supplied me with a number of sheets from CPW's service records which showed that on his repatriation to South Africa there is no record of any military service until 25 Jun 1940 when he enlisted as 1827 Pte  CPW of B Coy Umooti Rifles.  I quite thoight that he would have joined the fledgling SAAF which in its infancy about this time wasn't it?

CPW was reported missing on 20 Jun 1942 later confirmed PoW in Italy and Germany. 10 Apr 1945 arrived in UK after release from PoW camp and finally discharged 23 Aug 1945.

On his AM Form 175 for 84562 Cadet CPW under the block "Prior Engagement in HM Forces" there is and entry 4 "Nild or "Mtd" R.S.A. in GWA."  I assume the DWA was German West Africa, any ideas, what the rest is.
Regards
Ken

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 July 17 03:01 BST (UK) »

" I assume the DWA was German West Africa".

Probably not. German South West Africa ceased to exist as that name in 1915".

On second thoughts he was a Rifleman in 1915 and capturing GSWA was achieved by the South Africans in 1915. But GSWA and GWA are possibly not related for your soldier/airman.   

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 July 17 08:58 BST (UK) »
The previous service record also shows that he was a rifleman and was demobbed in 1915. That would fit with the end of the campaign in GSWA.

See  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_West_Africa for use of the term "German West Africa" to include GSWA. 

There's a comprehensive list of South African military units in that period here: http://www.kaiserscross.com/40117/40726.html

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 July 17 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Ken,

I assume that the CDD was an RAF establishment.

When I was researching these things, I was told that Nos 2 and 8 (as well as 1, 5 ad 6) Cadet Wings were Ground Training Units (as opposed to a Flying Training Units) based at Shorncliffe in the RAF's South Eastern Area.

Can you post the section of the service record with this entry? Unfortunately, the other image you have posted has insufficient resolution to be legible.

Justin

Offline hokum50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Justin
It's most frustrating trying to attach copies of CPW's military records, with the attachments my reply is too large.  If I reduce the attachment sizes any more than I have, they will be unreadable as you found with my Reply No 3.
On page 2 of the AM Form 175 I referred to "Cadet Pilot" has been hand written at the top.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 08:51 BST (UK) »
Detail from the AM175: