Author Topic: Michael Collins  (Read 1294 times)

Offline Cazza47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael Collins
« on: Saturday 22 July 17 10:52 BST (UK) »
I am researching Michael Collins born around 1833 who was living in Pearsons Buildings, Lamb Street, Long Benton, Tynemouth with his family, he was born in Monaghan, Ireland, his occupation is given as Chelsea Pensioner Labourer in in Shipyard.
I have found details of a Michael Collins born around 1836 in Maheracloon, Carrickmacross which I believe is in Monaghan who's pension admission date to the Chelsea Pensioners was 2nd may 1876, he was a private in the 6th foot, reg no 504.
He had 8 children, after 1st child was born in Ireland, next 3 have East Indies as their birth places, 5th child as Aldershot, remaining 3 as Long Benton.
Where can I find out more about this please, why would his wife have gone to East Indies with him? How come he became a chelsea pensioner? Any help would be appreciated.
Carol
Muckley, Routledge, Roe, Bontoft, Brumpton, Bills, Aspatria, Carlisle

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Collins
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 July 17 11:15 BST (UK) »
Only a few wives got to travel on postings with their soldier husbands (a fixed number per company). The practice was to draw lots to see who would go and who would stay behind.

Have you found his army discharge papers on FindMyPast? He became a Chelsea out-pensioner by qualifying for an army pension: 21 years service, 7 months in Gibraltar, 12 years in the East Indies. If you have a FindMyPast sub you may be able to find the baptisms of the children born in India. 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cazza47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Collins
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 July 17 11:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you
Muckley, Routledge, Roe, Bontoft, Brumpton, Bills, Aspatria, Carlisle