Author Topic: Mallory & Silvestor families - links to Mayors & Earls of Warwick  (Read 2120 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mallory & Silvestor families - links to Mayors & Earls of Warwick
« on: Saturday 22 July 17 16:20 BST (UK) »
My late grandmother and her sister would tell the family that they were descended from the Earls of Warwick.

Like many tales, you never know if stories like this are real or not, but I have been able to find out that I am descended from William Mallory (1739/40-1820) who was Mayor of Warwick in 1805-1806.

His son Daniel Mallory was Mayor in 1835-1836, so I wonder if my grandmother was incorrect in thinking she was descended from the Earls of Warwick and it was in fact the mayors of Warwick.

However while I know William was born in 1739/40 as the son of John Mallory/Mallery and Catherine Silvestor (who married in 1738 at St Mary Warwick), I have not been able to find out about the parents of either of them.

John Mallory's will is dated 1752 and as well as naming his children with Catherine Silvestor (including my ancestor William), he also leaves a shilling a piece to his sons Daniel Mallory and Samuel Mallory.

It is clear that these two sons must be from an earlier first marriage and that both must be over 21 years old. The fact he leaves one shilling must mean he had fallen out with them or they had already received a share of their inheritance in his lifetime.

I have not been able to find out who the first wife was or their baptisms and the fact I can't trace the parents of John Mallory or Catherine Silvestor makes me want to prove or disprove the Earl of Warwick claim.

I just wondered if anyone had any ideas at all about how to find out more about these lines which might shed a bit of light.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Jon

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Mallory & Silvestor families - links to Mayors & Earls of Warwick
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 July 17 17:41 BST (UK) »
The Neville's married into other Royal & Noble families so you need to find a family of that ilk within your own line.
The leaving of 1s. wasn't uncommon, as you say they may have been provided for during his lifetime.
Small sums were often left in order to buy a mourning ring/brooch.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 July 17 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hi
It looks like the children of John's first marriage are quite a bit older.

There is an apprenticeship for Daniel 1730 as a wiredrawer.
Malory Daniel, son of John, Warwick, Warwickshire, yeoman, to Daniel Mallory, 1 Dec 1730 [10 Apr 1735 turned over to Robert Wrathall], Gold and Silver Wyre Drawyers' Company
With a marriage for him 8.11.1742 at Warwick St Nicholas to Hannah Hillier.
At a guess this would give a birth c 1716.

Samuel is apprenticed 1737 as a weaver to John Collyer city of London father John.So perhaps born 1713.

The only marriage I can see is a John Mallory of Holy Trinity Coventry to Mercy Moor 9.7.1701

I'd be looking at the records of the Gold and silver wyre drawers company and other Daniel Mallory's in the area as there does appear to be earlier Daniel's in Warwick .
And it seems John Mallory's  gravestone survives at Warwick St Marys it might give a date of birth
for him .(Catherine died 1788).

Ciderdrinker

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 July 17 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi
Turns out Daniel Mallory the Master wire drawerer of London is John's brother and his Will of 25th March 1745 leaves him £300.Nephews  Daniel and Samuel also get £500 each. Nieces Hannah Float and  Hannah Mallory £500
Cousin john Mallory £500.
Have a look it may well give you enough info to crack the mystery.

Ciderdrinker

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 July 17 22:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this, Ciderdrinker. It is amazing what a new pair of eyes can find!

The wording in Daniel Mallory's 1745 will seems to imply my ancestor John Mallory was not originally of Warwick as he says of his brother 'Now or late of Warwick'.

Family members in this will are:

Brother John Mallory (£300 + £400 South Sea annuities during his life then to go to children), nephew Daniel Mallory (£500), nephew Samuel Mallory (£500), cousin John Mallary [sic] (£500), niece Hannah Float (£500 + £200 annuities to her children), niece Hannah Mallory (£500 aged under 21), late sister Witham, Mr Thomas Witham of Long Lane London (£105, executor), kinswoman Sarah Barnet widow (owed £190 of £224 lent to her).

He requested to be buried in Putney 'near to my sister Witham' and his burial took place there on 27 May 1745.

The fact Thomas Witham was his executor and his sister was a Witham enabled me to find the marriage of a Thomas Witham to an Anna Smith in London in 1717. I had already found the marriage of an Anna Mollary [sic] to a William Smith in Warwick in 1702 so this was evidently her.

I have found Daniel Mallery in the Old Bailey records in 1724 here regarding a trial of a person who tried to use a forged bank note in his shop:  https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?name=17240226

I have also found some interesting bits and pieces including this is "The story of Charing Cross and its immediate neighbourhood":

"To the " Parrot," in Henrietta Street, Daniel Mallory, Laceman (Late Partner with Mr. John Mallory at the Indian Queen in the Strand), announces that he has removed. — June 28, 1729."

The 1745 will of Daniel Mallory calls him a laceman so up until 1729 he was in partnership with a John Mallory. Now was this my ancestor John his brother, or the John Mallory his cousin?

I have also found the niece Hannah Float was Hannah Mallory who married John Float in London in 1734. So there must have been another brother. Still a lot more digging to do but this has helped me make an in road for sure.

Thank you again so very much.

Kind regards,
Jon

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 July 17 22:35 BST (UK) »
Further to this, given the fact that Anna Mallory/Smith/Witham firstly married in 1702, it would seem likely that she was born before c1684.

My ancestor John Mallory's eldest son is now known to have been born c1716 so John himself must have been born before c1694.

Looking for sibling groups of an Anna, Daniel and John, there are three in Kenilworth, five miles away.

These are the children of a Daniel and Mary Mallery and are Anna baptised 1681, Daniel baptised 1683 and John baptised 1685. There was also a Mary in 1680. 'Daniel Mallory, Gent' was buried there in 1686.

This is all looking rather exciting and promising.

Thanks again,
Jon

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 10:54 BST (UK) »
Good Morning
That's great news! Isn't it lovely when you crack it?

Ciderdrinker

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 23:34 BST (UK) »
Ciderdrinker, thanks to your post I have now been able to find the 1698 London apprenticeship of Daniel Mallory (the one who died in 1745 whose will you amazingly found and who was the brother of my ancestor John Mallory) on findmypast.

This shows that he was the son of Daniel Mallory of Kenilworth deceased and thus proves that it was this Daniel who died in 1686 who was my ancestor. My ancestor John Mallory who died in Warwick in 1752 was his son, baptised in Kenilworth in 1685.

From your heads up on the fact a tomb looked like it survived in St Mary Warwick, I was able to find the transcription which names John and his wife who died in 1788. It must be damaged or worn as the inscription is incomplete, but it reads:

Left side - JOHN MALLORY who died ...... 1752 aged 66. Right side - CATHERINE his wife who died March 30 1788 aged 90. 

All the trees on ancestry incorrectly have him as the John baptised in 1687 as the son of John Mallory. But as I know for certain, this is incorrect.

In fact thanks to all the wills for the area also being online at findmypast, I have been able to link all the Kenilworth and Leek Wootton Mallory families and also found the will of the John born in 1687 to disprove him being my ancestor for sure.

On top of all this I have now been able to find the will of my Daniel's mother Margaret Mallory of Kenilworth from 1686/7. This names both her late son Daniel and my then-child ancestor John and from a marriage contract to Margaret's daughter, I know know Margaret's husband was the John Mallory senior buried in Kenilworth in 1679.

It has all been a very exciting few days and lots more to find out. I really am so very grateful to you as I would never have cracked this without your help.

Thank you so much,
Jon

Offline MalloryAust

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 October 21 03:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Jon,
Wondering if you have come across a book A History of the Mallory Family by SV Mallory Smith ?
In the book under Pedigree N has outlined the family tree you are seeking.
Regards Gavin