Author Topic: IPS  (Read 2680 times)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
IPS
« on: Saturday 22 July 17 17:32 BST (UK) »
IF YOU WRITE SOMETHING ON YOUR LAPTOP AND COMMIT IT TO A DISC INSTEADOF PRINTING IT OUT ONTO PAPER IS IT STILLYOUR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY IF SOMEONE USES IT OR IS THAT ONLY FOR PRINTED MATTER?
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: IPS
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 July 17 12:16 BST (UK) »
If it's your own original work then yes.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 July 17 18:59 BST (UK) »
Marcie,
It might be worth adding a footer to the written work to say that it cannot be used without your permission. There have been a couple instances in the press this week where work (ok photos) were used and published for free due to the owner not writing a disclaimer on or against their work.

If I send any of my tree or research to anyone I ask that it is not published in print or on the internet. I have been bitten twice prior to this!
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 July 17 20:15 BST (UK) »
IF YOU WRITE SOMETHING ON YOUR LAPTOP AND COMMIT IT TO A DISC INSTEADOF PRINTING IT OUT ONTO PAPER IS IT STILLYOUR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY IF SOMEONE USES IT OR IS THAT ONLY FOR PRINTED MATTER?

Yes, it is still your intellectual property and automatically covered for copyright from the minute you finish it until 70 years after your death.
There is no need to register copyright in the UK, it is automatic.

However in some cases you may have to prove when a work was made (a common way for songwriters in the past was to post themselves a copy of the piece and keep the letter unopened).
If you have published a book then you should donate the required copies to the various UK copyright libraries (this can work out expensive and many people do not bother).

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 July 17 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

Want to tell us the FULL details of how they got a copy of your work?

Was it your own work?
Collaborative?
Did you get paid for it? etc., etc..
Were you working for someone (else) ?

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 17:50 BST (UK) »
no-one has a copy of my work yet. just checking it all out what is IPS and what isn't.
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 01:29 BST (UK) »
Anything you write is yours. Period.

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 06:46 BST (UK) »
Anything you write is yours. Period.

sami

Sorry but that sweeping statement is incorrect.

It depends on whether you have created the document as part of a contract or employment.
If you have then in certain circumstances the person who commissioned the work or your employer could own the copyright.

Copyright law is full of grey areas covered by case law and is not a black and white law in many cases.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 07:16 BST (UK) »
Agreed.
During my career in IT I have written many computer programs; some of them very good!

But copyright rests with my former employers, as laid out in my contract of employment.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)