Author Topic: Will of Henry Wicksteed of Nantwich c1571  (Read 1110 times)

Offline Andrew RM Hayes

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Will of Henry Wicksteed of Nantwich c1571
« on: Saturday 22 July 17 19:17 BST (UK) »
Trying to locate the will of Henry Wicksteed of Nantwich, dated 22nd August 1571.
Mentioned in the recitation of the title to a piece of land called Ladymead. (source; Discovery)
However, I could not find it on find my past amongst the Cheshire wills or on Ancestry for the PCC.
I was hoping that it might break down one of my brick walls, so any suggestions would be welcomed.
regards
Andrew

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Will of Henry Wicksteed of Nantwich c1571
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 July 17 22:58 BST (UK) »
I checked the Cheshire Record Office catalogue - I have found occasionally wills have not made it onto findmypast for whatever reason.

What a haul!  :D
http://archive.cheshire.gov.uk/CalmView/Overview.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog

I'd be absolutely stoked if I could find documents like these!
Hope they help.
Have fun!
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Andrew RM Hayes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 July 17 14:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your suggestion.
I couldn't seem to find the will in question on the catalogue, but there are certainly other references to the family of my 10x great grandfather William Wickstead. I'll try every permutation of the surname when I have more time. It's a pity that the Cheshire catalogue does not give as much detail as that of the Somerset archives (where my Wicksteads eventually ended up).
I suspected that Henry Wickstead was not only the father of Richard Wickstead, as recorded in the 1613 Herald's Visitation, but also of William Wickstead's father, who I think was also named Wiilliam.
In the 1601 Cheshire will of Gabriel Wettenhall Richard Wickstead the elder, son of Henry,  described as "cousin" was left 10s and cousins William Wickstead and Alexander Wickstead (who the supporting probate records states was William's brother), 5s. William later moved to Wrenbury, where he was buried in 1629 (Cheshire will located). in 1613 there was also a burial of William Wickstead senex, ie the elder, at Wrenbury, which is why I think William the younger's father was also William. There are references to family links between the Wrenbury Wicksteads and the Nantiwch family, but nothing is spelt out. I was hoping that Henry's will might have some of the answers!
regards
Andrew

Online california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 July 17 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew

Try familysearch.  You will need to create a log in.

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/results?count=20&placeId=8512&query=%2Bplace%3A%22England%2C%20Cheshire%22

You used to be able to search the Wills - however ! they are not indexed, so there is alot fishing about, but if you persevere the rewards are great!

I know there have been a number of changes recently so this facility may have been removed. Fingers crossed there is still online access

Good luck
CD

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 July 17 23:16 BST (UK) »
I don't understand -  the will you were looking for is there on the Cheshire RO site -
1571, 22. Aug. WILL of Henry Wicksteed, by which he bequeathed 2 closes, parcel of the said Ladyfield, to Henry Wicksteed, party to these presents.

I thought this was this link I put on yesterday, but see it missed a bit off.
http://archive.cheshire.gov.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=DCH%2f19%2f162&pos=14
along with some half dozen other documents for Henry Wicksteed.

Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Andrew RM Hayes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 July 17 19:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you for getting back to me.
I did access your link, but as you said there was a bit missing.
I must have misunderstood the Discovery reference. As I mentioned, I thought that it was just a brief mention of one clause in the will as part of the recitation of the title to Ladymead.
But, as you pointed out, the catalogue reference seems to imply that they have a copy of the entire will amongst these papers.
I'll have to get in contact with them to see if they can supply a copy, and keep my fingers crossed that it might contain some of the crucial information that I've been searching for.
regards
Andrew