Author Topic: James Edwin Trainer - ancestry enigma, help!  (Read 2780 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Edwin Trainer - ancestry enigma, help!
« Reply #27 on: Monday 24 July 17 00:01 BST (UK) »
Looking at William's record, I read it that he joined and attested at Kingston upon Hull in August 1870 (page 3) then joined at Curragh Camp in September 1870.(page 1). Could that be right?

That's how I read it too.  James attested at Nottingham and joined at Beverley, so presumably once they had passed the medical etc they went to wherever their unit was.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 24 July 17 10:06 BST (UK) »
As usual I had to finish posting for the day just when I found something useful and did not want to stop  ;D  Well done everyone with the progress made.

It would appear that OP is already looking at William Robert  :-\

I'm also wondering, given the names of his children (Lilian maud, Annie Agnes, William Robert etc) if he was a brother of William Robert Trainer, soldier whom lived in Guernsey with wife Annie. Williams dad was also James. Although I can't find birth or background info on him prior to his marriage (I have his marriage and census info) to see if there is a connection. Hhhmmm  ???
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 24 July 17 11:05 BST (UK) »
Looking at William's record, I read it that he joined and attested at Kingston upon Hull in August 1870 (page 3) then joined at Curragh Camp in September 1870.(page 1). Could that be right?

That's how I read it too.  James attested at Nottingham and joined at Beverley, so presumably once they had passed the medical etc they went to wherever their unit was.
You are both right. I read the bit at the top of the document and didn't register the other information.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 24 July 17 13:52 BST (UK) »
It could still be that he was in an army family though. There seems to be no sign of the brothers in 1861.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline my-irish-family

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 22:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you all you very wonderful people!!!!  This is absolutely amazing, what a fantastic job you have all done!  ;D ;D

This is absolutely James Trainer, and his brother is indeed William Robert (Guernsey)  ;D

I am so delighted and wholeheartedly appreciate all the amazing effort that went into this by each and every one of you, thank you!

;D
Glasgow: ROSS, WRIGHT, MURRAY, FALCONER
Derry: ROSS, ADAIR, COLHOUN, JOHNSTON, THOMPSON, TAIT, LOWTHER, HUSTON
Donegal: BROWN, McCLAY, GALLAGHER, MEHAFFEY (McHAFFEY), OGILBY
Tyrone: LITTLE, OGILBY,
Brisbane, Australia: ADAIR
Victoria, Australia: ROSS
Canada: COLHOUN