Author Topic: Jane PARIS aka Jeanne PARIS - London and France  (Read 1474 times)

Offline davidqueneherve

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane PARIS aka Jeanne PARIS - London and France
« on: Sunday 23 July 17 01:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am French and I am looking for the family of my ancestress Jane PARIS. She was born circa 1750. She passed away in 1814 in a tiny village called Chalvraines (Haute-Marne, France) where her husband bought a property during the French Revolution. Unfortunately, her death record doesn't mention nor her birthplace, neither the names of her parents. Her husband, Jean Louis LEFEBURE, died in the same village in 1830.
He was born in 1749 in Triel-sur-Seine (Yvelines, France) and was a twin son of Jean Baptiste LEFEBURE (1706-1758), a merchant born in Rouen, and Louise Elisabeth DELEVEMONT (Triel 1712 - Triel 1792).
His family is very Catholic and a brother of Louise Elisabeth DELEVEMONT, Jean Nicolas DELEVEMONT (1709-1761) was a priest. Their father, Jean Nicolas DELEVEMONT (1682-1763) was a royal officer and their grandfathers Jean DELEVEMONT (1651-1709) and Marin TREHEUX served the royal family. Marin TREHEUX was a valet of the Queen and after her death in 1683 he became a valet of King Louis XIV.
Before the French Revolution Jean Louis LEFEBURE and Jeanne PARIS used to live in Paris. The records of Paris are almost all lost because of The Commune of Paris in 1871. Around 1774, they got a daughter Françoise Louise Jeanne LEFEBURE.
In 1771, they had a son, Jean Louis Nicolas LEFEBURE, baptized (Catholic faith) in Triel-sur-Seine.
Jean Louis LEFEBURE was a goldsmith and a jeweler.
In a will, his aunt  Marie Louise Elisabeth DELEVEMONT mentions his wife as her English niece and as a matter of fact they got married in London (Saint-Anne Soho, Westminster) in 1769. 
John Lewis LEFEBURE and Jane PARIS both of this parish were married in this Church by Banns the 18th day of July 1769
Witnesses : Margrit COPPIN et John ELCOCK.
Her signature is Jane PARIS.
It seems that she was a Protestant.
That's all I know about her. It's a brick wall.

David

Offline davidqueneherve

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Jane PARIS aka Jeanne PARIS - London and France
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 March 18 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Her parents were Jacques PARIS and Françoise RUFFIEUX.

I am a bit surprised by those names. They sound so French.

They come from an extract of a lost French record. It mentions a marriage on November 28th 1778 in Paris, Saint-André-des-Arts parish, for Jean Louis LEFEBURE and Jeanne PARIS. I guess it's a new ceremony, a Catholic blessing, because of their foreign and Anglican marriage.

Could someone look for her baptism record on Findmypast circa 1750 now that her parents are known ?

May be that her father belonged to a French Huguenot family (in Spitalfields ?).

RUFFIEUX is a family name found in France and in Switzerland.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 August 18 03:14 BST (UK) »

In a will, his aunt  Marie Louise Elisabeth DELEVEMONT mentions his wife as her English niece and as a matter of fact they got married in London (Saint-Anne Soho, Westminster) in 1769. 
John Lewis LEFEBURE and Jane PARIS both of this parish were married in this Church by Banns the 18th day of July 1769

David

Do you know that she was Protestant?  Or do you assume she was Protestant because she married in a Church of England (also known as Anglican) church which was a Protestant church? All marriages in England in 1769, except of Jews and Quakers, had to be in an Anglican church. Catholics and Non-Conformists had to be married by a C. of E. clergyman in the Church of England. It was law. (Lord Hardwickes' Marriage Act 1753  or 1754)
Some Catholic couples also had a Catholic wedding ceremony if there was a priest available. A Catholic priest who officiated at a wedding between a Catholic and a Protestant risked arrest and imprisonment until late 18th century.
A Pope at the time issued an edict recognising marriages of Catholics who had married according to the law of the country in which they were living.
The Hardwicke marriage law remained until 1837. Even after 1837 some Catholics continued to marry in Anglican churches, one reason being it was cheaper.

You probably know all this now.  :)
Cowban

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 August 18 06:35 BST (UK) »
Stephen Paris a weaver of Bethnal Green married Mary Landon also of Bethnal Green 14 January 1744 St Dunstan's Stepney.

French Huguenot Church, Threadneedle Street.
ADDED
*Elizabeth born 6 November 1745 baptized 24 November 1745 of Etienne and Marie
*Samuel born 26 January 1747 baptized 15 February 1747 of Etienne Paris and Marie Landon
Etienne born 17 December 1748 baptized 8 January 1749 of Etienne Paris and Marie
Jean born 12 January 1751 baptized 31 January 1751 of Etienne Paris and Marie Landon
Jean Luc born 11 May 1752 baptized 7 June 1752 of Etienne Paris and Marie
Jaques born 3 December 1754 baptized 3 December 1754 of Estienne Paris and Marie.

The other family is Jacque Paris who married Marie Audebourg 30 July 1747 at the French Huguenot Church Artillery Street, Spitalfields. both made their mark, witness Louis Desormeaux, Louis Chevelier who signed.

children at the same church
Marie, born 21 April 1748 baptized 27 April 1748 of Jaques and Marie Paris.
Jacques born 27 February 1750 baptized 28 February 1750 of Jaques and Marie Paris
ADDED Laine Phillippe born 13 February 1755 baptized 20 February 1755 of Jaque and Marie Paris

Offline davidqueneherve

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 August 18 12:27 BST (UK) »

David

Do you know that she was Protestant?  Or do you assume she was Protestant because she married in a Church of England (also known as Anglican) church which was a Protestant church? All marriages in England in 1769, except of Jews and Quakers, had to be in an Anglican church. Catholics and Non-Conformists had to be married by a C. of E. clergyman in the Church of England. It was law. (Lord Hardwickes' Marriage Act 1753  or 1754)
Some Catholic couples also had a Catholic wedding ceremony if there was a priest available. A Catholic priest who officiated at a wedding between a Catholic and a Protestant risked arrest and imprisonment until late 18th century.
A Pope at the time issued an edict recognising marriages of Catholics who had married according to the law of the country in which they were living.
The Hardwicke marriage law remained until 1837. Even after 1837 some Catholics continued to marry in Anglican churches, one reason being it was cheaper.

You probably know all this now.  :)

Hello,

When I started my search I didn't know that. I do know it now but thank you for the reminder.
As a matter of fact, I don't know what her religion was. The only sure fact is that her husband and their children were Catholics. The funny thing is that their daughter, Françoise Louise Jeanne LEFEBURE, born in Paris around 1774, married a former Catholic priest, Louis CAILLET (1764-1840), in 1794 (during the French Revolution, priests could marry and many did. Louis CAILLET became a priest in 1789, he was a teacher before that). After the Revolution, it became a problem.

The Reconstruction of Catholicism after the Revolution and the ...
https://www.researchgate.net/.../292804140_The_Reconstruction_of_Catholicism_after_...
9 févr. 2018 - Full-text (PDF) | The Reconstruction of Catholicism after the Revolution and the Mission of Cardinal Caprara. ... reconciliation of the nearly six thousand priests married during the French Revolution.2 How ... Documents sur les négociations du Concordat et sur les autres rapports de la France avec le.

In 1804, Louis CAILLET and his wife want to reintegrate the Catholic Church as the opportunity is given to them. They have three children and the record says that they want their 9 years old girl to be baptized (it's Jeanne Louise CAILLET born in 1795, she never married and died in Paris in 1856).
I know that their fourth child, my great-great-great-grandfather, Charles Nicolas Henry CAILLET, got baptized in 1807, shortly after his birth.

If Jane PARIS was a Catholic, I wonder why they married in London and not in France where they would have received the proper blessings in a Catholic church. The fact that a rehabilitation occurred in France in 1778 doesn't help much. It could mean that she was a Protestant and that after her conversion to Catholicism, they had to remarry. On the contrary, does it mean that she was a Catholic and that their marriage in a Protestant church was considered as invalid? I don't know what the rules were in those times.

Too bad that the 1778 marriage record is lost, burnt in 1871.

Offline davidqueneherve

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 August 18 12:38 BST (UK) »
I don't have a Findmypast subscription but this is from ancestry.

Stephen Paris a weaver of Bethnal Green married Mary Landon also of Bethnal Green 14 January 1744 St Dunstan's Stepney.

French Huguenot Church, Threadneedle Street.
ADDED
*Elizabeth born 6 November 1745 baptized 24 November 1745 of Etienne and Marie
*Samuel born 26 January 1747 baptized 15 February 1747 of Etienne Paris and Marie Landon
Etienne born 17 December 1748 baptized 8 January 1749 of Etienne Paris and Marie
Jean born 12 January 1751 baptized 31 January 1751 of Etienne Paris and Marie Landon
Jean Luc born 11 May 1752 baptized 7 June 1752 of Etienne Paris and Marie
Jaques born 3 December 1754 baptized 3 December 1754 of Estienne Paris and Marie.

The other family is Jacque Paris who married Marie Audebourg 30 July 1747 at the French Huguenot Church Artillery Street, Spitalfields. both made their mark, witness Louis Desormeaux, Louis Chevelier who signed.

children at the same church
Marie, born 21 April 1748 baptized 27 April 1748 of Jaques and Marie Paris.
Jacques born 27 February 1750 baptized 28 February 1750 of Jaques and Marie Paris
ADDED Laine Phillippe born 13 February 1755 baptized 20 February 1755 of Jaque and Marie Paris

Thank you a lot. I don't know if there is a link yet but it's very interesting to know that Stephen and Jacques PARIS belonged to the French Huguenot Church.

Offline davidqueneherve

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 August 18 12:40 BST (UK) »
Could you please write in English phonetic the family name BUFFIEUX the way you read it if you don't speak French?

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 August 18 14:32 BST (UK) »
Could you please write in English phonetic the family name BUFFIEUX the way you read it if you don't speak French?

Buffiux, Buffeux, Buffiucks. Buffeucks, (or any of those with 1 f). Buphiux, Buphiucks, etc. If it was only heard and then spelled phonetically it might be any number of ways. Boofio ? How would you spell it phonetically as a French person? There are English aristocratic families with surnames Molyneux and Devereux; they've been here since 1066 so we're used to them.  ;D
I found a surname Chevigni in a record of an ancestor from 1760. I thought it was Italian. The man was really called Cheyney, which may have once have been Chevney.
Cowban

Offline davidqueneherve

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 August 18 15:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you. The website I use says that it's byfjø in international phonetic. I don't know if it's correct.