Author Topic: THORNHILL William Henry WALKER Matilda Beechworth 1856-1858 travel?  (Read 7516 times)

Offline Inekes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
THORNHILL William Henry WALKER Matilda Beechworth 1856-1858 travel?
« on: Sunday 23 July 17 06:54 BST (UK) »
Hello world!  :P  I am not expecting any replies, as I've had no luck here in Australia. I believe what I'm looking for simply does not exist.

However, I found the above mentioned marriage records courtesy of Ancestry a while back, and tried to find out when they left England/arrived in Australia. It seems they teleported!

There are no records according to the National Archives of Victoria, as they turned up in Beechworth, Victoria in around 1858 (first? child Sarah Thornhill was born then; only lived for a few hours).
I've hunted other Australian port records to no avail. Trove has proved fruitless in terms of arrival info also.

Any suggestions on where to look for records of leaving England? I am led to understand these sorts of records are rare though. Thank you!

P.S. this is also posted in the Yorkshire, West Riding board at their recommendation.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: THORNHILL William Henry WALKER Matilda Beechworth 1856-1858 travel?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 July 17 07:08 BST (UK) »
However, I found the above mentioned marriage records courtesy of Ancestry a while back

Can you give details of the marriage?  Date and place?  England or Australia?  When and where were they both born?

I believe what I'm looking for simply does not exist.

This may be the case.  There are no surviving departure records for that time period from the UK and not all arrival records have survived.  Many ship's manifests do not list the passengers by name, just X number in steerage.

Debra  :)

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 July 17 07:09 BST (UK) »
Public Record Office Victoria holds inbound shipping lists.
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 July 17 07:36 BST (UK) »
....they turned up in Beechworth, Victoria in around 1858 (first? child Sarah Thornhill was born then; only lived for a few hours).

I can't see Sarah but I can see that Lucy Ann and Maria were both born and both died in 1858, most likely at the beginning and end of the year.  Do you have those birth certs?  If they were married in Dec 1856 that gives a very small window for an arrival. 

Debra  :)

Offline Inekes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 July 17 08:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Debra! It appears they really didn't have any entertainment back then. I gave up on birth certs 8 children ago. Most didn't live.
I am wary of spending money just to get a date or two. I have found so far that free information via trove.nla.gov.au is far more useful than any paid site! We are so lucky here in Australia. 
As far as I can tell they were poorer than poor, so I'll assume they were never listed on a ship anyway. Thanks for your time though.  :)

Offline Inekes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 July 17 08:29 BST (UK) »
Public Record Office Victoria holds inbound shipping lists.

They do and told me that nothing exists for the Thornhills I'm searching for. Thank you though.  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 July 17 09:01 BST (UK) »
BDM's for Victoria are very detailed.

Red Posts, so I may be duplicating some info.

Vic BDM indexes are freely available online directly, and you can then use your plastic card to immediately download the image.

And, as others have posted, I too can see two births in 1858 for THORNHILL that would likely be of interest, and others in later years. Sadly the two from 1858 would seem to be babies that did not survive. 

The parents are listed as William THORNHILL and Matilda (WALKER), AND Lucy Ann’s 1858 birth is referenced #4279, and Maria’s 1858 birth is referenced #19809   

Civil registration of BDMs was a relatively new procedure for the new colony of Victoria in the 1850s, and it is possible that not all BDM events were accurately recorded.  But the information on Vic BDM’s including birth registrations can be very detailed, including for example information as to when and where the parents married. 

Here’s an RChat thread from the Vic Resources Board
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,373754.0.html

Here’s the link to Vic BDM family history search  https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/indexsearch.doj

ADD from the RChat thread from Vic Resources Board

Deaths 
 Date and place of death;
 name and surname;
 occupation of the deceased;
 sex and age;
 cause of death,
 duration of illness,
 medical attendant by whom certified and when he last saw deceased;
 name and surname of parents (if known) including mother's maiden surname        signature, description and address of the person who gave the information;  signature of deputy registrar, date and where registered,
 when and where buried,
 undertaker whom certified;
 name and religion of Minister, or names of witnesses of burial;
 place of birth of the deceased and how long he or she resided in the Australian colonies or states (stating which),
 name of spouse,
 place of marriage,
 age at marriage;
 names and ages of children of the deceased.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 July 17 09:19 BST (UK) »
Which department did you contact regarding the passenger list?Was it National Archives or PROV?
I'd be wary about handing over primary research to a Government employee particularly when so much information is available free online.
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex