Author Topic: THORNHILL William Henry WALKER Matilda Beechworth 1856-1858 travel?  (Read 7505 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: THORNHILL William Henry WALKER Matilda Beechworth 1856-1858 travel?
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 29 July 17 03:25 BST (UK) »
It all helps in learning, argument and debate process, in ancestry also helps other researchers, in this case Thornhill/Walker FH family that may come across this thread in years to come in the future, and even if the O P does not come back

One looks at or suggest all possibilities and normally one expects most of the possibles to be dead ends but one may be fruitful but elimination can have its own merits in the final evaluation sum up.

Enjoyed the banter

Dobby

:D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 29 July 17 07:07 BST (UK) »
it is interesting, though, to note that there seems no sighting of William prior to his marriage - or at least none that can definitely be attributed to him so perhaps he may have used an alias at the time of his marriage.  Matilda is easily found, and appears to have lived in Yorkshire since her birth, but no sign of William.

I doubt that the record of their immigration will ever be found and the range of reasons for that have already been noted by other R'chatters.

Lots of interesting information has been found about William in Australia, even though we've not found his entry.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 29 July 17 10:31 BST (UK) »
Usually UK occupations like a shoemaker (could be cordwainer or cobbler though that are slight differences in the trade or even a tanner working  in leatherware generally ) are a stable occupation that appear with regularity in censuses and trade directories through a working life time normally being if W H Thornhill's father Henry was a shoemaker and we cant find one record of him and only one for his so William H T .. marriage 1856

Wonder William came to England from abroad (Australia ? or USA or Europe or anywhere) as he certainly shot off quick after marriage. Its also strange Australian records (Death) don't show William's father-

(I'm no expert though on Aussy records as already shown  :-[ )

Strange.  ??? nothing adds up
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 29 July 17 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hi majm

What's your views on info below.  this Henry Thornhill is an Ag Labourer not a shoemaker  ??? I have doubts it the same William

A, Henry William Thornhill married Jane Lee 1852 Brighton

A few bits and bobs from UK

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=586742.0

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=727813.msg5723257#msg5723257

Quote from link above

Yes, both marriages mention Charles George snr. as a Greengrocer, no mention of being deceased. It seems after they appeared on the 1871 census in Tunbridge Wells, Charles George and Frances vanish.
Interestingly yes, their daughter emigrated to New Zealand, and his brother, Henry William Thornhill emigrated to Australia,(??) so these is a possibility...but no evidence of that yet...

Unquote

1841 census Brighton, Sussex, England   
 Residence Note     Russell Street  Registration District     Brighthelmstone   
 Parish     Brighton 

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7SD-S63

This family from residence UK 1851 census Brighthelmstone, Sussex, England   
 Registration District     Brighton 

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SG87-1RN

Note:- Jane Lee visitor in 1851c above

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 30 July 17 01:37 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I am still striving to understand why you chose to use the word 'banter' when I was writing historic facts that basically contradicted your speculative words.  Perhaps the word 'banter' has a different meaning in your locality, but to me, here in NSW Australia 'banter' suggests teasing words, sometimes given in a friendly manner, but not always.  I avoid 'banter'.   

Have you searched for mis-transcribed surnames or similar ... eg THORNELL, perhaps way outside of Yorkshire?

Enjoyed the banter  ...

JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 30 July 17 04:50 BST (UK) »
Rather a long time since our Original Poster Inekes was online to comment on findings to date.

Do hope notifications a re being received. :-\

Sue

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 30 July 17 10:43 BST (UK) »
Hello JM

Your opinion  ???

"contradicted your speculative words"
Unquote

Fact (not speculative) - suggested factual information now eliminated

(# See link below)

United Kingdom - Index To Register of Passport Applications 1851-1903

WILLIAM Thornhill  - August 4th 1858 passport no. 8079

Posting suggestions, possibilities, ideas out for discussion, when factual inform is not coming forth is normal, and other members can then can try to further research the aforesaid ideas from information which you have proved  :) the above passport application William Thornhill was too late in the year to be William H Thornhill who married in Yorkshire 1856 and had a child in Australia April before August 1858. (found by judb )

----

I agree with checking for variants like Thornell or Thornall and we have done UK checks of UK censuses of variants of Thornhill to no avail.

31 Dec. 1856 Worsborough Church at Darfield

William Henry Thornill 29, bach. iron moulder of Worsboro' Common. Father: Henry Thornill - shoemaker
Matilda Walker 18 spins. servant of Worsboro' Common. Father: Isaac Walker: Edge tool maker

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=775453.0

"Banter" is just a loose UK slang word, for discussion,

Think you will have similar streetwise words or saying in Australia  ???

:)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 30 July 17 11:42 BST (UK) »
Rather a long time since our Original Poster Inekes was online to comment on findings to date.

Do hope notifications a re being received. :-\

Sue

'Original Poster' may return - may have off website or offline private business or research.

Offline Inekes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 23 November 17 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Wow! I did NOT expect all this discussion! I am only into family history casually, as you've worked out from my lack of presence. :-p Thank you so much for your suggestions, however any London research can wait till I'm actually prepared to do it myself. I would never presume to ask anyone to do the research for me, paid or otherwise.
I think William and Matilda are simply 2 people in the thousands that travelled in search of quick riches, and found little but misery (search  Trove I did, rather disappointed in William!). A fascinating look at the early history of Baarmutha/Beechworth/Three Mile though. Thanks again everyone!