Author Topic: THORNHILL William Henry WALKER Matilda Beechworth 1856-1858 travel?  (Read 7517 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: THORNHILL William Henry WALKER Matilda Beechworth 1856-1858 travel?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 23 July 17 09:28 BST (UK) »

It may be worth contacting this group because if the children were buried there, possibly their records will hold dates of death which may narrow down the search time-frame.
http://www.beechworthcemetery.com.au/family-history-research.html

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 23 July 17 11:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Debra! It appears they really didn't have any entertainment back then. I gave up on birth certs 8 children ago. Most didn't live.
I am wary of spending money just to get a date or two. I have found so far that free information via trove.nla.gov.au is far more useful than any paid site! We are so lucky here in Australia. 
As far as I can tell they were poorer than poor, so I'll assume they were never listed on a ship anyway. Thanks for your time though.  :)

Hi

Surely if William H and Matilda Thornhill, were your ancestors then their child that you descend from ? or you have research back too,? that child's birth certificate with place of birth of parents should confirm a lot.

Just needing to purchase one certificate

I agree with you that our UK certificates are awfully very limited basic info but your Australian certificates give a such a lot useful factual root info needed in family history and I don't know what price they are in Australia (Victoria) but seem good value for so much info buying just one certificate.(Officially linking & confirming info -the best info)

Here in the UK the worldwide subscribed websites Find my past & Ancestry have free weekends on some national holidays and we can access the aforesaid websites free at most town/city libraries and being worldwide one would expect Australian libraries to have free access to said websites.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 July 17 12:30 BST (UK) »
Your people obviously emigrated between 1856 and 1858 and yes their name would have been on a ship's manifest if they emigrated to the Colony of Victoria - but did that manifest survive or was it too fragile or illegible to transcribe to PROV indexes?  Their names may have been mistranscribed.

The Port Phillip District officially separated from New South Wales to become the colony of Victoria on 1 July 1851 and in 1852 the new Legislative Council of Victoria passed into law the following Acts relating to passengers and immigration into Victoria - Laws relating to the carriage of passengers by sea and The Act to Regulate the Conveyance of Passengers to the Colony of Victoria 1852.  These laws include a description of the official schedules upon which the masters of ships were to record the names of passengers and which were to be delivered to the Office of Customs. It is generally these forms which have been transcribed, indexed, microfilmed and/or digitized.

I don't agree that NLA digitised newspapers are far more useful that any subscription only website. What free sites are you using for your research?  They all have their uses.  I often wonder how so many of us managed to research quite successfully before NLA placed the digitised newspapers online.   The UK also has newspapers available to search and I use my SLV and NLA card for that purpose.  I cannot imagine how anyone can have accurate research without purchasing a certificate or two along the way.  Just my opinion.

I have a number of Victorian resources which are not online and when I return home late next week I will have a search for any THORNHILL information. 

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 July 17 07:14 BST (UK) »
On the other thread there is mention of a William THORNHILL applying for a passport in 1858.  I doubt if this was your man for two reasons:

A child was registered to William and Matilda in early 1858 - as far as I remember the passport application was made in April 1858.

As far as I know no passport was needed to travel from UK to Australia at the time because Australia was a British country and Australians were British subjects anyway.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 July 17 07:50 BST (UK) »
This is possibly of little help in finding the immigration you seek.

Were there relatives of William also in the Beechworth area?  I see this entry on TROVE regarding a Mr M THORNHILL, and The Three Mile is certainly an area where your THORNHILL family were at some time.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/196856911
(Third column - News from Afar)

Again, no help but I note that Matilda and family were living in Melbourne at the time of William's death, although Matilda herself died at near Beechworth.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/199696865

Matilda was back in the Beechworth area by 1905 when she was a witness in a court case.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/199659842

You probably have all this.   ;D

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 July 17 09:01 BST (UK) »
Ovens and Beechworth Advertiser 8 Feb 1876 p2
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/197056810?
...assault on Matilda....William at African diamond mines for three years, returned one year.....Matilda recently confined........William to gaol.....

PROVE record to find for this offence. William born 1829....

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 July 17 09:29 BST (UK) »
Ovens and Murray Advertiser  1 Aug 1911 p2
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/200454197?
...death of Matilda THORNHILL....77 years

BDM VIC death
1911 / 7636 THORNHILL    Matda     parents UKN / UKN 

This certificate would ask for years in the colony, and issue.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 24 July 17 09:41 BST (UK) »
Will for William Henry THORNHILL names children -

Annie JENSEN wife of Peter JENSEN  36 years
Ada Emma McMILLAN wife of John Joseph McMILLAN  34 years
Matilda WATT wife of Francis WATT  30 years
Esther Jane WILTON  wife of G H WILTON of Adelaide

Isaac William THORNHILL of Three Mile  20 years
Charles Frederick THORNHILL of Three Mile  18 years

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 02:28 BST (UK) »
Good finds Wivenhoe.  The earlier account of William's trip to South Africa gave his initial as "M" so I wasn't sure if it was him.  However the Court case shows it was.

Judith