Author Topic: Convict Conduct Record  (Read 732 times)

Offline MasonT78

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Convict Conduct Record
« on: Sunday 23 July 17 07:44 BST (UK) »
Can anybody help with the following? There are a couple of words I cant make out. So far I have:

Uttering a forged conditional Pardon. Married 1 child. Stated his offence. Having a forged conditional pardon in my possession. To New South Wales Henry Tanner 1834. Tried Woolwich. Life for uttering a bill of exchange for £32. I passed myself off as free for nearly 3 years. I was a ? of the school when I first went ? ? ? of the Carpenters, which prevented my attending
MASON
WYLIE
HAYES
DANDO
BINNS
SEARLE

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Convict Conduct Record
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 July 17 07:48 BST (UK) »
... monitor at the school?  :-\

... and then overseer of the Carpenters?

:-\

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 July 17 07:58 BST (UK) »
I agree, "overseer" of the carpenters.  And yes looks like "monitor", though I'm not sue what that means?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 July 17 08:20 BST (UK) »
I think you will find that a Monitor at the School may be a person responsible for monitoring the students ... a bit like today's teacher's aide,  so back in 1830s it may be someone who can read and write, and can assist the teacher by monitoring say a particular age group or a particular level of literacy or numeracy, while the teacher concentrates on another group in the same classroom.   

"monitor" in that sense would mean to observe,check and review the quality of the work the students did, under guidance from a superior, so a monitor would be a sub-ordinate. 

Sorry, I don't have my trusty 1911 dictionary at hand to type up its possible old meaning.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 July 17 08:48 BST (UK) »
Perhaps in context :

I passed myself off as free for nearly 3 years.  I was a monitor at the school when I first went, & then Overseer of the Carpenters, which prevented my attending

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline MasonT78

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 July 17 09:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone, quite obvious what the words say now that I know.

Cheers
MASON
WYLIE
HAYES
DANDO
BINNS
SEARLE