Author Topic: Which Richard?  (Read 1564 times)

Offline glen11

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Which Richard?
« on: Sunday 23 July 17 10:22 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me to sort out this huge problem please?I am tracing my husbands side of the family and am really stuck.I have got back to 1785,Richard Roberts,parents Joseph and Mary,all trees on Ancestry have these as the parents.He was born in English Bicknor,extra parochial,baptized 1786.Then,by searching the registers,on ancestry,i found another Richard,and his brother William,baptized 1787,parents Richard and Mary.When Richard grew up and married(Sarah Jones),one of the witnesses was a Mary Stephens,maiden name Roberts,her parents were Joseph and Mary.I can find a wedding for Joseph and Mary,English Bicknor,not Richard and Mary.Last night i searched The Forest of Dean website,no wedding.This morning i thought that Richard and Joseph could be brothers,but the registers are hardly readable.Has anyone any thoughts,if i had found Richard and Joseph,i could bypass the bit i am stuck on.Any help would be appreciated.Glenys
Edwards.Godwin.Gilding

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Which Richard?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 July 17 12:33 BST (UK) »
The Will of Joseph ROBERTS (made 10 January 1811 - died shortly afterwards  : 14 January 1811 )  English Bicknor is on Ancestry  -

Mary ROBERTS is Widow is mentioned at the bottom - 20 May 1811
---

seems some problems and 14 January 1839 - James ROBERTS is Son goes along and proves he is is Son (two pages in total)

Briefly, he talks about

his wife Mary ROBERTS - leaving her his house and garden

Son : James and Eliza daughter of my son Joseph +

Richard ROBERT's children, Lucy & Joseph

and his daughter Mary MORGAN's two children by John STEPHENS, Wm & Hannah STEPHENS

Wm SHINGLES two children Ann & John.

etc

Is this your line??  Seems to be as: William SHINGLES and Mary STEPHENS were witnesses at Richard ROBERTS and Mary STEPHENS - wedding.....

etc

Is

----

Forest of Dean

childen of Joseph & Mary ROBERTS, English Bicknor

John 1769
Mary - 1776
James - 1782
Richard - 1786

Offline glen11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 July 17 13:10 BST (UK) »
OOh thank you ,that is so exciting,i would never have thought to look under wills,none of mine ever made one!Glenys
Edwards.Godwin.Gilding

Offline glen11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 July 17 13:27 BST (UK) »
Joseph and Mary are my rightful ancestors.Thankyou once again,i can hopefully find their details now.Glenys
Edwards.Godwin.Gilding

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 July 17 13:30 BST (UK) »
I was always check with

Gloucestershire Genealogical Database (Gloucestershire Record Office) - for quickness in searching names i.e. ROBERTS, English Bicknor.  Although Richard died in 1811 - his Will appears in the Records 1839 - so never search for dates!

There is also a John ROBERTS Goal - 1836 aged 19 - English Bicknor - which should also be on Ancestry.  ? Could be Richard & Mary ROBERTS son christened 1816.

Offline glen11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 July 17 14:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you,i will give it a try.Now,the one in jail,sounds more like MY family!!!
Edwards.Godwin.Gilding

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 August 17 11:38 BST (UK) »
The Will of Joseph ROBERTS (made 10 January 1811 - died shortly afterwards  : 14 January 1811 )  English Bicknor is on Ancestry  -

Mary ROBERTS is Widow is mentioned at the bottom - 20 May 1811

seems some problems and 14 January 1839 - James ROBERTS is Son goes along and proves he is is Son (two pages in total)

There is a burial of a Mary Roberts age 87 of Joyford Lane English Bicknor on 15 Dec 1838. Likely to be Mary Roberts nee Whitson widow of Joseph, so son James had to swear an oath to prove he was the heir named after her decease. The entry mentioning May Roberts widow dated 20 May 1811, would be her swearing that she was rightful heir named in the will. 
Also a John Roberts of Joyford Lane age 69 buried 21 Nov 1838. Could be the son John
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 August 17 12:28 BST (UK) »
(two links going at the same time)

Forest of Dean records

James ROBERTS, christened 26 May 1782, English Bicknor, parent: Joseph & Mary

James ROBERTS, buried at English Bicknor, 25 October 1857, aged 75, residence: Joyford Lane this Parish.

?

1851 Census, English Bicknor

James ROBERTS - 69 - Farmer, born Glos. English Bicknor
Sarah ROBERTS - wife - 63 - born Newland
James ROBERTS - son - 28 - born English Bicknor

---

Just checking back on the Forest of Dean records - as on the 29 January 1815, James & Sarah ROBERTS - had a son John - born 29 January 1815 - residence: Whitecliff, Newland, Glos

memoranda: The Minister (Baptist Protestant dissenting) - signs after a sentence in which he declares he was present at the birth on the date given.  This is a record of Birth not Baptism.

- if the same couple as above, the problem could have been because of religion.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 August 17 14:40 BST (UK) »
May be a coincidence:
The children of William Shingles were baptised in EB, mother's name was Hannah. No marriage in EB or anywhere in Glos for a William Shingles and a Hannah, but there is one in Sutton Benger, Wilts on 7 Mar 1803 for a WS to a Hannah Roberts - might Hannah be related to the Roberts of EB?

The witnesses were John Shingles and Jeneveragh Shingles.

In EB in Jan 1810, there is a burial of Hannah Shingles (possibly Hannah nee Roberts). There are baptisms later for children of William and Dorothy Shingles, one of these children is called Jeneveragh. Can't find a marriage yet for William S to a Dorothy sometime after Jan 1810. But so far fits together.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott