Author Topic: Ancestry DNA....so many "matches" so few trees.  (Read 6251 times)

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestry DNA....so many "matches" so few trees.
« on: Sunday 23 July 17 11:07 BST (UK) »
Apologies if this has been raised before :(

I had my DNA test done to help (hopefully) solve some of the roads that research and paper trails couldn't solve.

But has anyone else found it incredibly frustrating when a potential DNA relationship has been flagged up but the person hasn't supplied a Family Tree?

Yes, the website suggests you invite them but to do so, and some have Trees that are private (fair enough. At least they have one and can share information should they chose to) but surely most people would upload a tree if they were actually looking for a match?

I'm unsure why these people have paid for a Ancestral DNA test with no apparent desire to discover their ancestry?

I understand some might be working on theirs and with time one will appear I suspect some never post one
Davis - Berkshire & London
Sutcliffe - Yorkshire & London
Harrington - Ireland and London
Fuller - Cambridgeshire and Essex
Waldron/Waldren - Devon & London
Frisby and Lee - Leicestershire
Hollingsworth - Essex
Williams - Ireland? and London
Ellis, Reed & Temple - London
Lane - ?
Surplice/Surplus - Cambridgeshire
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry DNA....so many "matches" so few trees.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 July 17 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Yes, I agree with you.
I have sent messages to tree owners both Public and Private and they don't bother replying.
I usually send another asking why did they bother having a tree.
Maggsie

Offline tresario

• I have turned off all notifications to all topics
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 July 17 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hello
I find it frustrating too. The unanswered emails especially drive me to distraction ??? Blimey especially when it says they have been on their account..whats that about..ggrrr >:( >:( >:(
I have found doing a couple of things helps me discover who they are..even though it says no tree, I look and they usually have put a couple of names in to start off their test. Then with that information I will build a tree for them on my account. I just make it private, so no one can access it. Then build as much info as I can.. think they are called mirror trees. I have even done a tree and then attached my dna to it..leave it a day or two and it sometimes comes up with a shaky leaf!
The other thing that I find invaluable is uploading my raw dna to gedmatch.com That shows all your matches from all the other companies too..well providing they have uploaded theirs. You can do all good stuff on it by putting in your number and someone elses, you can see who else matches you..also what generation they match you on. Sure beats going through a big tree trying to work out your most recent common ancestor.
Good luck with it ..I get exactly what you mean :)

Breen,keenan,Boylan
Caldwell,Thompson,Bell.
Bradshaw,Smith,Waldron

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 July 17 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hello
I find it frustrating too. The unanswered emails especially drive me to distraction ??? Blimey especially when it says they have been on their account..whats that about..ggrrr >:( >:( >:(
I have found doing a couple of things helps me discover who they are..even though it says no tree, I look and they usually have put a couple of names in to start off their test. Then with that information I will build a tree for them on my account. I just make it private, so no one can access it. Then build as much info as I can.. think they are called mirror trees. I have even done a tree and then attached my dna to it..leave it a day or two and it sometimes comes up with a shaky leaf!
The other thing that I find invaluable is uploading my raw dna to gedmatch.com That shows all your matches from all the other companies too..well providing they have uploaded theirs. You can do all good stuff on it by putting in your number and someone elses, you can see who else matches you..also what generation they match you on. Sure beats going through a big tree trying to work out your most recent common ancestor.
Good luck with it ..I get exactly what you mean :)

That sounds like really useful advice, especially the Gedmatch suggestion.
Hollingsworth - Essex
Lane - ?
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Offline tresario

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 July 17 11:45 BST (UK) »
Yes if you go to right of dna on top line of ancestry page is settings..under there download raw dna..click on that..you get an email within a couple of minutes..agree..click on download raw dna again..file is downloaded as a zip file..dont open it!
Go to gedmatch.com, open a free account..follow your dna company instructions how to upload.
you will get a number..keep it safe!
Wait 24 hours..log back in to gedmatch.com with your number..look on right hand side of the page..says one to many..click on that ..voila! there are all your matches in the highest order you match in..Brilliant, I love it!! ;D
If you go back to the main page there is a tutorial to show you all the other good stuff it does too.
Good Luck with it ;) :-*
Breen,keenan,Boylan
Caldwell,Thompson,Bell.
Bradshaw,Smith,Waldron

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 July 17 12:05 BST (UK) »
Yes if you go to right of dna on top line of ancestry page is settings..under there download raw dna..click on that..you get an email within a couple of minutes..agree..click on download raw dna again..file is downloaded as a zip file..dont open it!
Go to gedmatch.com, open a free account..follow your dna company instructions how to upload.
you will get a number..keep it safe!
Wait 24 hours..log back in to gedmatch.com with your number..look on right hand side of the page..says one to many..click on that ..voila! there are all your matches in the highest order you match in..Brilliant, I love it!! ;D
If you go back to the main page there is a tutorial to show you all the other good stuff it does too.
Good Luck with it ;) :-*

Just uploaded my RawDNA. Have my identification number all ready...
Hollingsworth - Essex
Lane - ?
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Offline tresario

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 July 17 13:46 BST (UK) »
Great, think you can use some features straight away..Compare one to one..I'm A646960..
Also are my parents related..

Once you get used to it,and want to do more stuff buy a tier1 membership 10$ a month you can cancel/reapply anytime.
I know they don't recommend it, but if I think some one maybe a match I will reduce the cm thing at start to 3 it's usual place is 7..I have lots of matches that don't quite make it like 6.4cms
Have fun!

Breen,keenan,Boylan
Caldwell,Thompson,Bell.
Bradshaw,Smith,Waldron

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 July 17 14:15 BST (UK) »

Just uploaded my RawDNA. Have my identification number all ready...

You needn't worry about remembering your number if you remember your log-in.  When you log-in your kit numbers show on the first page.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 July 17 14:40 BST (UK) »
I think though that you won't necessarily get any further on those that yu already match on Ancestry with as you can upload onto Gedmatch under an alias or indeed just a different name to the one you have used on Ancestry. You don't therefore know whether you are matching to the same person then.

Am I right on this?   Of course lots of other potential matches but again not a lot of gedcom entries have an attached tree.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire