Author Topic: NELLIE LOUISA DONAHUE nee BRENKLEY  (Read 767 times)

Offline DJS1991

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
NELLIE LOUISA DONAHUE nee BRENKLEY
« on: Sunday 23 July 17 14:25 BST (UK) »
I'm re-posting the message I posted last year to see if any fresh people can make any searches. I hired a private researcher this year to look through Zimbabwes records and only limited information was found

Nellie Louisa DONAHUE; maiden name BRENKLEY born 8th December 1921 in Oswestry Shropshire England married a G I from California USA on 4th December 1942 called Charles Donahue and possibly remarried to a guy with the surname JACKSON possibly in Rhodesia or South Africa. Have traced Nellie arriving to Southampton England from Durban in 1949 and returning to Cape Town in 1950 with the future permanent residence as South Rhodesia, travelling by train on 2 July 1950 at the Plumtree entry point. [She had probably caught the train at Cape Town]. Her occupation was given as what looks like “M’gress” which if so could be an abbreviation for “Manageress”; she said she had come from the UK and was en route to the Norfolk Hotel in Salisbury. She also said she was visiting Rhodesia for six weeks. An Immigration Docket was opened for her (no. 464 of 1950) but unfortunately the Archives does not have these dockets.

I also have an old letter saying she possibly went back to England in 1967? Does anyone know of any sites that can help me. If she is still alive today she will be 95. I've tried searching the death records in England and there's nothing that matches her.

Many Thanks.

DJS

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: NELLIE LOUISA DONAHUE nee BRENKLEY
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 July 17 16:29 BST (UK) »
It may well be your tree online, but if not then there is a lot of info about this family in other peoples trees. Normally I would discount info gained in this way, but in this instance it is backed up with many certificates, census date for her parents etc. plus photographs of her parents. One tree states she died in South Rhodesia, but this does not give any proof of this.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline DJS1991

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: NELLIE LOUISA DONAHUE nee BRENKLEY
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 July 17 16:39 BST (UK) »
It may well be your tree online, but if not then there is a lot of info about this family in other peoples trees. Normally I would discount info gained in this way, but in this instance it is backed up with many certificates, census date for her parents etc. plus photographs of her parents. One tree states she died in South Rhodesia, but this does not give any proof of this.
regards.

Yes the tree you mentioned is mine