Author Topic: Peter & Joseph Brunton 1724 Wakefield latin?  (Read 444 times)

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Peter & Joseph Brunton 1724 Wakefield latin?
« on: Sunday 23 July 17 14:45 BST (UK) »
I have found a document relating to hubbys ancestors Peter & Joseph Brunton, if anyone can translate it, it would be very much appreciated

Thanks

Julie

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peter & Joseph Brunton 1724 Wakefield latin?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 July 17 22:09 BST (UK) »
It’s an indictment for theft, brought against Peter and Joseph Brunton, along with several others. The page-heading shows Pontefract (not Wakefield), 14 April 1724.

"And that Henry Spinks senior, lately of Scotton in the West Riding in the aforesaid county, labourer; Henry Spinks junior, lately of the same, labourer; Thomas Brown, lately of the same, labourer; William Dannye, lately of the same, labourer; William Hill, lately of the same, labourer; Geoffrey Wilkinson, lately of the same, labourer; Peter Brunton, lately of the same, labourer; & Joseph Brunton, lately of the same, labourer, on the first day of March in the tenth year of the reign of our lord George by the grace of God the present King of Great Britain, by force and arms etc., at Scotton aforesaid, in the West Riding in the aforesaid county, did unlawfully and unjustly take, carry away and convert to their own use one insignum (called a Sign) to the value of twenty shillings, from the goods and chattels of a certain Richard Maffham then and there being found, to the damage of the aforesaid Richard Maffham, and against the peace of the said Lord the present King, his Crown and Dignity etc."

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 July 17 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Bookbox

Thanks once again for your help, Thomas Henfrey on my earlier post that you helped me with was one of my ancestors, the Bruntons were on hubbys side, they should be father and son Peter being the elder and would explain why he is named first.  I wonder what the outcome was as I haven't found another document to follow up this one, will check again in the library tomorrow if I get chance.

Thanks for your help I could make out Scotton and Brunton and that's about it.  Saw the heading Pontefract when I looked at it again, geography was never my strongest subject at school  :)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 July 17 22:14 BST (UK) »
You're welcome. I just noticed that in the penultimate line of the above translation I omitted the word serious (before damage).