Author Topic: Pitminster/Chipstable - Taylor Family  (Read 624 times)

Offline NEATWHEAT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Pitminster/Chipstable - Taylor Family
« on: Sunday 23 July 17 16:09 BST (UK) »
I’m wondering if anyone can help me sort out my family tree, I have got into a bit of a mess with it.  I have been researching for years now and today I noticed what I thought was a mistake.  My great grandfather Eneas Taylor was born in Chipstable in  1843   His father was James Taylor 1824 and mother was Frances Blackmore (I have the birth certificate) so that is right.  James’s father was Thomas Taylor and mother was Joan Bennett. 
Frances mother was Grace Taylor father Nicholas Blackmore and I had her parents as Peter Taylor and Grace Vickery of Pitminster.  But today I have found that Thomas Taylor’s parents were Peter and Grace.  Its all very confusing.  It looks to me as though Thomas Taylor born 1778 and Grace Taylor 1774 are brother and sister, could that be possible?   
Thanks NEATWHEAT

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Pitminster/Chipstable - Taylor Family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 July 17 00:04 BST (UK) »
It looks to me as though Thomas Taylor born 1778 and Grace Taylor 1774 are brother and sister, could that be possible?   

Easily. First cousin marriages are legal in England and have been at least as far back as the Reformation. They were relatively common in pre-Victorian times. I imagine most family trees will have a few instances.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin_marriage#United_Kingdom

David