Author Topic: Nevis: Looking for PCC Will or Admon of William Tilsed, 1669  (Read 805 times)

Offline kjthistory

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nevis: Looking for PCC Will or Admon of William Tilsed, 1669
« on: Sunday 23 July 17 16:19 BST (UK) »
I have found reference to a William Tilsed of Nevis Island in "Caribbeana: Being Miscellaneous Papers Relating to the History, Genealogy, Topography, and Antiquities of the British West Indies, Volume 6, under the heading of Admons (PCC) relating to West Indians."

The entry is

"1669 : November: "Wm Tilsed, 1, to Egidia T the M. of W.T. I.of Nevis, ba". (folio 145)

I take this to mean that responsibility for the Will or Administration of William Tilsed, a bachelor resident in the Island of Nevis, was awarded on 1st November 1669 to his mother, Egidia Tilsed.

My query is - how do I go about finding whatever papers might exist on this matter? I have tried reading the National Archives' leaflets but I keep getting confused! I have also searched their website and that of Dorset Archives, and done a bit of general googling.

I have read that "Egidius/Egidia" is the Latin for Giles, and I actually do have a "Tilsed, Giles, widow" in Wimborne, Dorset (home of many Tilseds at the time) paying church rates in 1663. She would seem to be a good candidate for William's mother, given that the probate statement would have been written in Latin.

This individual may also be the William Tilsed who was mentioned in the will of one Henry Gillingham, signed 15th November 1662:

"I give and bequeath unto Francis Carlile and William Tilsed one Thousand pounds of sugar apeece And to each of them one whole yeare of the tyme of servitude as per their Indentures."

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
Re: Nevis: Looking for PCC Will or Admon of William Tilsed, 1669
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 July 17 11:45 BST (UK) »
Sorry, this is early plantation history, which my research only touches on, but nothing in the books I have regarding the names you've mentioned.

Interesting though that I have two entries on my Sugar~ database for Tilsed ...

TILSED William of Dorset (age 35) (labourer) (14 Emily St)    Silvertown 1911 census RG14/ 9494/ 304
TILSED William   - (age 15) (labourer)   (14 Emily St) Silvertown 1911 census RG14/ 9494/ 304

... father and son, but, if connected to your research, a very long jump from the 1660s ... maybe this is where you started.  :)
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Nevis: Looking for PCC Will or Admon of William Tilsed, 1669
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 July 17 12:55 BST (UK) »
The listing in Caribbeana is specifically PCC Admons so don't expect there to be a Will.

http://www.dloc.com/UF00075409/00007/48?search=tilsed

The Society of Genealogists may be able to help locate the admon: http://www.sog.org.uk/learn/help-getting-started-with-genealogy/guide-five/
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk