Author Topic: Lock Family  (Read 5750 times)

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lock Family
« on: Sunday 23 July 17 17:31 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find the parents and birth of John Lock who came from a travelling family. He was living in a travelling van at Holyhead 1911 and it states he was born Chester 1867. His wife was Eliza and they married about 1891.Their children were

Harold born 1893
Alexander  1894
Norman 1897
John Sam 1899
Rona 1902
Clarence 1909

I can't find the family on the 1901 Census :-\

Any help would be gratefully received, as I doubt John's place of birth is correct.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Lock Family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 July 17 17:58 BST (UK) »
Have you found his marriage?

Looking at the children the only one I can find that may have been registered is:

Clarence Lock
Dec quarter 1910
Aston  06D page 321
Mother's maiden name MINSHALL
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 July 17 18:17 BST (UK) »
No Groom I haven't found the marriage yet. Sorry I should have put the place of birth from the Census for the children, they are.

Harold Bodorgan, Anglesey
Alexander Wellington
Norman Menai Bridge
John Sam Chester
Rona Pwllheli
Clarence Fflint

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 July 17 18:22 BST (UK) »
So we can forget the Clarence I found! Doesn't look as if they registered any of the children and I would guess probably didn't marry either. If they were from a travelling family, that may mean that John wasn't registered, so it may be difficult to find his parents.

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 July 17 18:35 BST (UK) »
The only Baptism I could find for the children was Clarence 9th February 1909 at Colwyn Bay, parents
John & Eliza Lock no fixed abode, father a Hawker of the gypsy tribe. On the death index in 1979 Bangor it states Clarence was born 14/12/1911 so it's all a bit confusing ???

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 July 17 18:43 BST (UK) »
There are no Clarence Locks on the GRO register born 1908 or early 1909, so they probably didn't bother to register him, just had him baptised.

Perhaps he never really knew what year he was born just the date? Remember as well that dates on a death certificate are only as good as the person who registered it, so they may just have guessed at the year.

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 July 17 18:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for your help Groom  ;)

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
  • BETSEY SMITH/ WIFE OF NELSON BUCKLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 17:05 BST (UK) »
*John Jack Saki Lock BIRTH: 1867 - Worcestershire is who you are looking for he was son of Noah Lock B 7 JUL 1824 • Claverley, Shropshire, England & Delia Maria Jones B 1836 • Herefordshire, England D JAN 1880 • BANGOR N WALES.

His father in later life whilst living in Anglesey Wales reverted to surname Boswell being his father was Matthew Boswell Lock/e 1785 • Shropshire, England D 10 FEB 1871 • Rock, Worcestershire, England> the family used both surnames Lock/e & Boswell

Matthew married Memberensi Boswell, they had 11 children she was B 1788 • Chadlington, Oxfordshire, England  - DEATH 26 MAR 1869 • Worcestershire, England

1871 Civil parish   Quatford County/Island Shropshire
Noah with family John is listed b 1867  Worcestershire aged 4* surname Lock

His birth register
Name:   John Lock
Registration Year:   1867
Registration Quarter:   Jul-Aug-Sep
Registration district:   Pershore
Inferred County:   Worcestershire
Volume:   6c
Page:   349

John was not so well known as other members of his family:
His sister was the famous Esmeralda Locke 1854–1939 who married 1879  Francis Hindes Groome  A writer and commentator of his time with the Romani people, their language, life, history, customs, beliefs, and lore. Previous to this Esmeralda married a much older man Hurbert Smith 30 years her elder there is much if you google you can find regards all this and the family history.

his sister Theodora/Ada as Boswell  in 1882 Nantwich Cheshire married in the Presence of : X The Mark of Ethel Lee & Morgiana Lee -siblings of William
Fathers were Noah Lock/Boswell & Henry Lee> Ethel Lee was famous for his fiddle playing

His brothers Zachariah aka Harry Boswell married Maria Wood of Abram Wood & Somerset Joe
there is a story that the 2 brothers whilst traveling Wales met with Seth Lovell & Oliver Lee who did not like them being on their turf and a fist fight was had that eventually lead to the Lock/Boswell men winning and Seth Lovell accordingly moved his family south.

As I say now you know who his family were you will be able to find much regards them :)
TENETT BUCKLAND & PLATO BUCKLAND ( MY LINEAGE)
  Buckland Smith James Stanley Lovell Loveridge Lee Cooper Penfold/Pinfold Orchard Boswell Broadway Wells

AREAS OF INTEREST CORNWALL DEVON

USA   Worton Stanley Joles Cooper  Jeffrey Small
 all English lines of Roms who are found in America

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 18:00 BST (UK) »
That is absolutely fantastic Tiggi & so much information too. How knowledgeable you are regarding the ways of the Romany families with all their different names.

I have lots to work from now and what interesting stories of Esmeralda & the two brothers.

I can't thank you enough,

Ellen :)