Author Topic: Charlote Ball born 1835 Swanwick - info on Ball family  (Read 2854 times)

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charlote Ball born 1835 Swanwick - info on Ball family
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 July 17 11:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you Cas, I did manage to get into the census after trying umpteen times, new to this kind of thing and was getting very exasperated, so left it and retired to bed.........Libralady

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 July 17 12:15 BST (UK) »
I have posted census details for Charlotte which show her parents as Joseph & Hannah also her siblings
This appears to be Charlotte's baptism from familysearch

Charlotte Ball
Christening 08 Feb 1835
SOUTH NORMANTON,DERBYSHIRE
Father   Joseph Ball
Mother   Hannah

If Charlotte was jilted at the altar then banns were possibly called and would show in the parish register.

Incidentally there is a 'breach of promise' for a Charlotte Ball in the Derby papers but that was in 1893 and she lived in Wales  ;D

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 July 17 12:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you Cas, I did manage to get into the census after trying umpteen times, new to this kind of thing and was getting very exasperated, so left it and retired to bed.........Libralady

Sorry that you had problems accessing the census, sadly only the transcripts are available for free on familysearch and you need  a sub to FindMyPast to see the images direct from that link.  I have found familysearch quite slow over the past few days but it is one of the few sites we can link to where you don't need a sub to view it.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 July 17 12:28 BST (UK) »
Thankyou all for your help.....Libralady...

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 17:32 BST (UK) »
This thread has sparked my interest too. Has anyone figured out who Charlotte's mother was? The 1851 census gives her name as Hannah aged 38 born in (South) Normanton. This census also gives a sister, named Mary, born about 1841. Looking at the new GRO indexes, there is a Mary Ball with mother's maiden name as Hays born in the Mansfield Union.

However looking at Sunflower's marriage transcripts for South Normanton marriages, a likely candidate is the marriage of Joseph Ball to Hannah Jepson on November 18th 1833. Hannah's age would give a birth corresponding with a baptism in January 1814. If so, her mother was Ann Jepson (no father listed)

Why I am particularly interested here is that I have two Ball loose ends which could end up with a range of consanguineous marriages.

Ann Jepson married Isaac Ball in September 1815. I have not been able to substantiate his parents. The 1841 census suggests that Joseph was born around or just after 1800 and that there is an elderly male, Robert (?) his father living in the same household aged about 70.

I realise that Ball is a common name in these parts but Pamela Sharpe in her book A Village of Considerable Extent notes that in 1788 the village consisted of 121 houses and had a population of 588.

Alan

Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 17:39 BST (UK) »
Rosie 99 - My great great grandfather James Cockayne was married twice, firstly to Zillah Richards in 1837, then to Charlotte Ball in 1881........I believe Zillah Richards his first wife, married her in 1837 at Alfreton, passed away leaving him widowed, no children in 1849, have been told she died of Cholera.......Was intrigued to know about Charlotte Ball, how, where and when he met her, who were her family ? - I believe her family were from around the Swanwick area in Derbys - she seemed to be 20 years younger than him, yet she married him and they had 8 children together, one of them being my great grandmother........ Could this lady be the person being talked about in my family, who was jilted at the alter when she was very young and then went onto to marry James Cockayne and become his second wife? - thankyou for your help in this matter, much appreciated.........Libralady

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 17:42 BST (UK) »
Rosie 99 - My great great grandfather James Cockayne was married twice, firstly to Zillah Richards in 1837, then to Charlotte Ball in 1881........I believe Zillah Richards who he married in 1837, passed away in 1849 with Cholera, they were childless.......Was intrigued to know about Charlotte Ball, how, where and when he met her, who were her family ? - I believe her family were from around the Swanwick area in Derbys - she seemed to be 20 years younger than him, yet she married him and they had 8 children together, one of them being my great grandmother........ Could this lady be the person being talked about in my family, who was jilted at the alter when she was very young and then went onto to marry James Cockayne and become his second wife? - thankyou for your help in this matter, much appreciated.........Libralady

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 17:45 BST (UK) »
I am led to believe that Charlotte Balls mother was called Mary.......When Charlotte married James Cockayne in 1861 (his 2nd wife) - Her father was named as Joseph and the witness Mary Ball who was probably her mother..... Try the freeberg site -Does this help Newfloridan ?

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 17:51 BST (UK) »
The 1861 census gives the mother's name as Hannah (a widow) with daughters Charlotte (24); Mary (18); Emma (3) and son Joseph (15). So I would suspect that the witness Mary at Charlotte's marriage was her sister

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson