Author Topic: info on Mabbott family - Meadows Nottingham  (Read 4028 times)

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: info on Mabbott family - Meadows Nottingham
« Reply #27 on: Monday 24 July 17 12:57 BST (UK) »
Larkspur  He was known as Jack Mabbott, I think you seem to have the birthdate right and he married Sophia Gertrude in 1895........But if his parent's did have 20 children, then the older ones would be in their 20's possibly 30's by he time he was born (if he was the youngest)........So the older Mabbott's would be married with children of their own, possibly called Mabbott and living in the same district, so that could cause confusion.......Incidently, he did play football for Notts County in the 1890's ws a professional as Preston Northend wanted to buy him....Notts County wanted 50 guineas for him, but, Preston said it was too much, so he stayed with Notts......Footballer's did not get paid obscene money as they do today, so he left and joined the army where he rose to Sargeant.......My mother in law Winifred was born in 1908 when he left....He was sent to Ireland when the First World War started........An article was written about him in the Football Post back in the 1950's as he was the oldest living Professional Footballer at the time, I have been trying to purchase the Newspaper, but without success, not having much luck with these Mabbotts..............Incidently, his grandson, also a Jack Mabbott owned FMS, Industrial Cleaning firm in Nottingham in the 1960's - 2001..........thanks for your help - Libralady

Offline Marj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Libralady,

I think that Winifred Mabbott was referring to her great grandfather John Mabbott b.1838 Bingham.
and not John Abbott b. 1872.

1841 Census HO107/853/52 Needham Street Bingham Nottingham

John Mabbott 60/64
Jane Mabbott  30/34 (nee Huskinson)
Martha Abbott 19/23
Eliza Abbott 17/21
Emma 9
Harriett 8
Jane 6
Maria 5
John 3
Agnes 2
Sarah 0

another 2 children on 1851 Census HO107/2139/196/46 Needham Street
 Ann 8 and Frederick 6

John Mabbott b married Martha Barratt 24/11/1816 Radcliffe on Trent Nottingham
and there is St Mary's Church in this area,
John and Martha, I found 7 children but there could have been more.

John Mabbott married Jane Huskinson 3/2/1831 St Nicholas Church. Nottingham
John b.1838 mmn Huskinson, as all the other children

Needham Street could have been the 2-houses.

All worth considering.

Marj

Census information Crown Copyright from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Moran, Healey, Gouldbourn, Drury

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 13:31 BST (UK) »
Marj - Thanks so much, I think you may be right, my mother-in-law Winifred was in her 60's when I married her son Malcolm and she did tend get confused, was a great story teller.    she was the daughter of Jack Mabbott and Sophia Gertrude Mabbott, nee Firman, she was born to them in later life as her father was a regular in the army, she had an older brother Lesley Harold born to them when they lived on Glossop Terrace the Meadows around 1898/99.......I cannot remember her mentioning Bingham, she talked a lot about Wymeswold where her mother came from........I have always been intrigued by this very large family supposedly living in the meadows and have tried to find out about all of them, I never heard of many Mabbott's living around Nottingham and you would have thought with such a large family there would be lots of them around -  I did meet one of her cousins's Doris Conroy, nee Mabbott who I think related the story as well, also met one of Lesley's sons John Mabbott who had an industrial cleaning Business called FMS on Queens Drive Nottingham around 1960/70's as I used to work for him.......but anyway, I tried......thanks again for your help...

Offline Simmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 31 May 22 18:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,
The John Mabbott with all the children is surely the John Mabbott born in Cropwell Bishop in 1780.
He married 4 times (and every time he's down as a bachelor!)

Married Helen Cooper in 1801 and they had John (both died in 1803)

Wife no 2 was Isabella Harwood (married 1804) and they had John, William and Elizabeth (Isabella died in 1815)

Wife no 3 was Martha Barratt (married 1816) who produced Alfred, 2 Richards, Martha, Eliza, 2 Sarahs, Anne and May before dying  before Christmas 1829

And wife no 4 was Jane Huskinson (married 1831) mother of Emma, Harriett, Jane, Maria, John (father in law to Sarah Gertrude Firman), Agness, Sarah Anne, Annie, Frederick, Joseph Thorpe and George before dying in 1848

A grand total of 24 children.