Author Topic: Brick wall - Philip Evan of Llanbedr Ystrad-yw (late 18th century)  (Read 1528 times)

Offline MattW224

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brick wall - Philip Evan of Llanbedr Ystrad-yw (late 18th century)
« on: Sunday 23 July 17 19:26 BST (UK) »
I'm searching for records involving Philip Evan (or "Bevan"), who lived in Llanbedr (near Crickhowell) from at least 1784 to 1789. The only records I've found are the following:

• Marriage of Philip Evan and Mary Morgan, 1784. The marriage witnesses were Evan Bevan and John Price. Evan's relation to the family is unknown and, given Welsh patronymics, he may not be related.
  • Baptism of Philip Evan, 1785.
  • Probate bond of Thomas Bevan, 1788. (link) Thomas' relation is unknown. His marriage record indicates he is from St. Weonards in Herefordshire, but I cannot locate any record of Bevans there.
  • Baptism of John Evan, 1789.

The elder Philip doesn't appear as a witness in his children's marriage, and disappears from the historical record after 1789. No probate records, or mention in the Llanbedr parish registers.

I wondered whether Philip was committed to a workhouse, or joined the militia and died in a military conflict. However, the Powys Archives reported that workhouse records do not exist for this time period. I also ordered microfilm records of the Breconshire militia from FamilySearch, and am awaiting its arrival.

Does anyone have suggestions about where else I might look?