Author Topic: Death in Germany  (Read 926 times)

Offline Alex Edge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death in Germany
« on: Sunday 23 July 17 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hope this request is in the right place but it's a bit unusual.  The date is around 1920 , the place is Germany.  My ancestor married a non-commissioned officer in the Second, later Thirteenth, Brigade of the Royal Welch Fusiliers. Reg't No. 9358.  She moved with her husband to Germany, sometime after the end of WW I when his unit was posted to join the Allied Occupation Forces.  She died, aged around thirty five, in Germany, from a heart attack.  The soldier was Dai Roberts MORGAN, his wife, was Anne.  How on earth do I begin trying trace her?  At the moment, the last I know of Dai Roberts, from his Medal Card, is that he was a Lieutenant in Jan. 1920 and appears to have been awarded a DCM and a MM.  The last of Anne is the 1911 Census when she is twenty six, single and an assistant teacher living in Brownhills, Walsall.  Any help greatly appreciated.

Alex Edge

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death in Germany
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 July 17 21:23 BST (UK) »
Her was  rather later than you thought, this is the reference if you wish to order the death certificate from the GRO.

Record source
GRO Army Death Indices (1881 to 1955)

Anne Roberts-Morgan Death Year 1929.
Birth year 1885
Age at death 44
Place BINGEN
Page 246
Record set
British Nationals Armed Forces Deaths 1796-2005

CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 July 17 21:36 BST (UK) »
If Dai Roberts Morgan remained in the army after 1920 his service record will be with the MoD. Unfortunately you will need his death certificate and 30 pounds to request it.
You have seen the record on FindMyPast where he was a member of a committee enquiring in to the deaths of three men in the Easter Rising in 1921?

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 July 17 21:47 BST (UK) »
There is  WW11 record in British Army Casualty Lists 1939-1945 on FindMyPast for a D Roberts-Morgan Captain in the Royal Welch Fusiliers. He died 17 September 1939. It is not the same service number but the method of allocating numbers in WW1 and WW11 were different.
Also a D Roberts.Morgan buried at Netley Military Cemetery

No this is this man
Captain David Roberts-Morgan
Regiment/Service  Royal Welch Fusiliers
Service No 15822
Awards D C M
Son of Ebenezer Morgan and Annie Roberts Morgan; husband of  Gwendoline Roberts-Morgan, of Southgate, Middlesex.

Offline Alex Edge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 July 17 09:17 BST (UK) »
Jebber - Thank you very much for your reply.  Yes, I didn't realise British Forces were still in Germany that long after WWI.  Would you mind speculating on what happened next.  Would up expect Anne's body be interred locally or in a British War Cemetery or handed to the next of kin for burial?

Alex Edge

Offline Alex Edge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 July 17 11:34 BST (UK) »
Crisane - Thank you for your help.  I'm very naive where Military procedures are concerned so the questions I have may seem very odd.  I looked up your Netley reference and found your entry.  The first thing is his age is correct.  He'd have been a year younger than his wife Anne and could have remarried to Gwendoline following Anne's death.  The only information I have on him is from his  Medal Card and that refers to him as a Lieutenant in 1921.  He seems to have been in Germany until at least 1929 but he is only a Captain by 1939.  Does that seem right?  Is/was there a limit on how high someone from the Ranks can be promoted?

Alex Edge

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 July 17 14:51 BST (UK) »
Alex,

I am sorry I have just noticed I omitted the Year of death, it was 1929,  I have added it to the other details on my previous post.

To answer your question about her burial, her husband would have had a say in that, it would most like have been in Germany, but it  would be only be guesswork  as to what actually happened.

If you were to obtain her husband's military record from the MOD, they may contain further information.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.