Author Topic: Zenegham Ammunition Store. France WW1  (Read 2630 times)

Offline ChrisJohnCoops

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Zenegham Ammunition Store. France WW1
« on: Sunday 23 July 17 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi RootsChat,
My grandfather Charles Cooper RE 5th Labour Battalion, C Coy. for which I am fortunate to have found and downloaded it's War Diary, was hospitalised from injury received at Zenegham ammunition dump while on active service working on railway maintenance and construction. He was hospitalised from the 10th March 1917 to the 19th May 1917 when he rejoined his Company at Fontinettes. This information  is on his Soldiers Service Record. I am remembering him on the web Lives of the first world war which will be closed in 2018 to new entries. Does anyone know where the field hospital was located and if there was any explosive? activity that day of his injury. The Battalions four Companies were all under almost constant daily shelling and bombing while working on railways and roads.   Much obliged. Chis Cooper

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Zenegham Ammunition Store. France WW1
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 July 17 09:58 BST (UK) »
The ammo dump was actually situated on the canal at Saint-Pierre-Brouck (thanks GWF and Imperial War Museum) about 20km south east of Calais.  The difficulty with the search for a hospital is that there were, understandably, a large number of them on or round the coast for safety and for easy evacuation to UK.  A few minutes with this http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/british-base-hospitals-in-france/ and a map will show how many are near that location.  If the injury was at the ammunition dump then bombardment from the air or an ammunition accident would seem to be the most likely causes.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline ChrisJohnCoops

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 July 17 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi maxD. Thank you for responding. Yes the camp dump was where you say, his C Coy. was working on railway maintenance and construction for the dump so could have been on the line, in the camp or at the dump where the Battalion War Diary states they were based. They were earlier based at St Pierre Brouck  then on the Somme then Audruick dump before this one at ZENEGHAM. The field or movable base hospitals were many I now realise thanks to you. Do you know if copies of original Army forms B213 are documented anywhere? One was raised for him on his Casualty Service record.
Chris

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 July 17 14:56 BST (UK) »
Form 213 was the field return to GHQ from which occurrences were copies into a man's records.  while I can't be totally certain, my feeling is that they didn't survive the war, there would have been untold thousands of them. Forgive the question but is there perhaps a hieroglyphic for the hospital on his record somewhere related to the definite dates for his hospitalisation?

maxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline ChrisJohnCoops

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 July 17 18:18 BST (UK) »
I have studied it but can only make out the basic information needed to be written. Unless no. 13 next to the admission date in the right hand column is a reference which is Boulogne General which was used until Feb 1919 on the Longlong trail web. Hopefully I managed to attach a copy.
Regards
Chris
maxD, Looking at the form now thanks to you, I think he was injured on the 7th March and sent to a casualty clearing hospital then admitted to Boulogne General on the 31st March.  Then on the 9th May he was transferred to, I think it reads no. 38 which was Calais, before rejoining his unit on the 17th May which was at Fontinettes, a railway camp in Calais. Do you think looking at the form I have now interpreted it correctly?
Much regards
Chris

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 July 17 21:18 BST (UK) »
Easy to be persuaded but it could possibly be.  The column would record the details from the 213 sent in by the originating unit and in the case of admittance and discharge that would be the hospital. There is also a "No 1(3?)" after the second date.

The register for 13 Gen does not appear on the list of extant records http://www.1914-1918.net/soldiers/hospitaladmissions.html  so proving it one way or another will, I think, be mission impossible.  As a solicitor might say - you might like to take a view!

maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline ChrisJohnCoops

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 July 17 21:39 BST (UK) »
maxD, no 13 after the date 31-3-17 I checked against the list on the longlong trail link that you gave me which gives it as Boulogne from October 1914 to February 1919 so I think that seems correct. The second entry on rejoining is not clear but looks like 38 magnifying it as it has deteriorated which is Calais. The only doubt is that it is shown on the longlong as not starting until July 1917.
Am I wrong to use this list from the longlong trail.
Chris

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 09:16 BST (UK) »
Absolutely not wrong to use the longlongtrail, the first go-to site for the Great War!

Are there any entries on other forms relating to the same set of dates?  A man in hospital would be transferred to something called the Xii list which would be recorded on a form with three areas, two for postings and one for promotions, each with three columns.  The period should also appear on an Army Form B103.  Could you check those if they are there?

maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline ChrisJohnCoops

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 10:44 BST (UK) »
No other references on his Service records. On the Statement to Disability page he signed to state no claim to disability and the details of hospitalisation boxes are blank. He carried a problem with his injured foot for life but must have disregarded it on demobilisation. Also on his discharge page the if wounded section is left blank. So he probably wanted to just sign off and go home with just a souvenir postcard he bought and medals he gave to his children.
Thanks a million for your help, I am going to put another post on to see if anyone has any private records of his time immediately following the dispersal of the Battalion in August 1917 and the soldiers reenlistment into the newly formed 704th Labour Corps while still in France for which the War Office declared that no War Diaries would be kept.
Regards
ChrisJohnCoops.