Author Topic: Housley family Greasley/Newthorpe 1800's  (Read 4054 times)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Housley family Greasley/Newthorpe 1800's
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 23 July 17 23:50 BST (UK) »
Longshot - name could be spelt wrongly

Florence Toplass Dec qtr 1885  Stoke upon Trent  6b  215
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 23 July 17 23:55 BST (UK) »
CaroleW  - Yes, My granddad Joseph's mother was I believe called Bradshaw and he was one of six children.......He did die in 1969 at Strelley Notts....
My grandmother Florence's family are the ones who are very vague and secretive, she was born I think in Ilkeston, her surname was Toplis, but she did not die in 1935 as I was born in 1945 and can remember her well living in Church Lane Greasley, where my dad grew up, they were very poor.......I married in 1970 and she was at my wedding, she possibly did die in 1974 ......Because of all the secrecy around her is why I would like to find out about her family tree.......well, never mind, thankyou for your help...Libralady

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 July 17 23:57 BST (UK) »
Take a look at the 1911 entry for Florence Toplis b 1887 Normanton.  7mth old daughter Grace with her
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 July 17 00:03 BST (UK) »
Yes William and Ann are his parents......heard the names mentioned........Sounds like the Normanton entry is correct as Grace was born in 1909, she was a councillor and became the first lady sheriff of Nottingham 1976/77, was Grace Roberts then........
Having trouble getting into these sites, only just joined and am having teething problems......found 3 Ann Bradshaws and 3 William Bradshaws, but I do not know the whereabouts exactly that they came from originally.....so will have to call it a day.............Many thanks to you.....Libralady

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 July 17 00:18 BST (UK) »
Grace's birth was registered December qtr 1910

Theory time

Florence may not have been born as Toplis.  If her mother married a Toplis she may have taken her stepfathers surname

Or - she was born as Toplis and mum married pre 1891 which is why we can't find her under Toplis in 1891

There is a 1901 entry for Florence Topliss b 1884 Ilkeston working as a servant in Staffs but that profile matches parents Richard & Agnes in 1891

Definitely need that 1913 marriage cert

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 July 17 00:20 BST (UK) »
Okay, need to get the certificate.......Grandmother Florence Housley nee Topliss was a servant at Strelley Farm, Strelley, Nottingham, owned by the Bradshaws, my granddad's relatives.........That is where I think she became pregnant and left.........this is where the secrecy comes in, as to who the father of Grace is and why granddad Housley who was a grandson of the Bradshaws was asked to marry her, although I know he is not Grace's father........I am trying to find out more about the people who owned this place, but unfortunately do not have enough information about the families on both sides to find out, everybody in the know are deceased, but would not give away any info anyway.........a lot of births seem to have different dates as well as I am sure Grace was born August 24th 1909, marriage and deaths dates are correct though...........well thanks CaroleW, was worth a try......Libralady

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 July 17 01:24 BST (UK) »
Grace is shown as 7 months  old in 1911 and her birth registration is on freebmd in the December qtr 1910

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 24 July 17 02:50 BST (UK) »
As mentioned already, Florence Toplis was born in Normanton, Yorkshire (Wakefield regn. district)

Census shows she was the daughter of Robert and Elizabeth.   

Robert Toplis, son of Thomas Toplis, married Elizabeth Bloor, dau. of John Bloor, on 28/7/1867 West Hallam, Derbyshire (on Ancestry).

Florence was one of at least 12 children - the GRO's own index shows the first 5 childrens births with mothers maiden name as Bloor, but the next 7 as Blower!   The family are living in Ilkeston in 1901.

Florence's birth registered as:

Florence Topliss    Mar.qtr.1887  Wakefield (mmn Blower).

We know her birthday was 27th November - in 1939 birthyear is 1887, death as 1885, but clearly it was actually 1886 since her birth reg'd Mar.qtr.1887 (i.e. birth late 1886 or early 1887).

When you are involved in researching your family you need to work back using census, BMD's and parish records (where possible) in conjunction with one another.   Only from the census can you learn where your ancestors were actually born and where they lived.  Also take into account possible spelling variations of surnames.

Annette   
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 24 July 17 08:17 BST (UK) »
Don't know if you already have this

Joseph Housley born 7.4. 1888 baptised 6.5. 1888 to Joseph and Sarah Ann , miner at Greasley.
abode Newthorpe.

Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk